[SLE] how to securely mount a remote filesystem via internet

From: Heupink, Mourik Jan C. (Heupink_at_INTECH.UNU.EDU)
Date: 12/15/04

    To: suse-linux-e@suse.com
    Date: Wed, 15 Dec 2004 10:41:16 +0100

    dear list. :)

    This will probably be a very simple question, with a very obvious answer to
    all of you, but not to me.

    I would like to securely mount a (part of a) filesystem of another (suse)
    linux server via the internet. So that copying files to that certain mount
    point, actually means: copying that file to a server far away in another
    country. Clear..?

    I've done some searching, and these seem to be options:
    - nfs (seems to be unsafe (except when over vpn))
    - ssh (file transfer possible, but mounting as filesystem not)
    - lufs (enables you to mount ftp/ssh locations in filesystem, but requires
    kermnel recompile)

    So, what do you people here use? And what is the 'recommened' way to do
    this? BTW: i can do whatever I want also on the remote machine, it's 'my'
    machine, so any configuration is possible. And yes: both sides have very
    decent internet connections.

    Thanks very much in advance,

    Mourik Jan

    ---
    email: echo ude.unu.hcetni@knipueh | rev

    • Re: mount() function problem !
      ... mount() attaches the filesystem specified by source (which is often a device name, ... point within a file system. ... details of the options available for each filesystem type. ... Specifies the journalling mode for file data. ...
      (comp.lang.c)
    • Re: [autofs] [RFC] Towards a Modern Autofs
      ... >entangling autofs with that work. ... >filesystem it's willing to export. ... >>map is mounted. ... The result is that some users will see mount points ...
      (Linux-Kernel)
    • Re: UFS Bug: FreeBSD 6.1/6.2/7.0: MOKB-08-11-2006, CVE-2006-5824, MOKB-03
      ... They can simply mount a filesystem with any number of SUID ... root binaries on it and have their way with the box. ... They have physical access to the machine. ...
      (FreeBSD-Security)
    • Re: Notes on support for multiple devices for a single filesystem
      ... device is to have a mount option that contains the path to the block special ... an additional mount option when the device number is stored in the filesystem ... We can either do this in user space, or in kernel space. ...
      (Linux-Kernel)
    • Re: Automove vs Noautomove in BPXPRMxx
      ... read/write filesystem and the executables are in a separate, ... trying to manually mount the filesystem or you have a corrupted mount ... Automove vs Noautomove in BPXPRMxx ... Are you saying you have the same data set name but 2 physically ...
      (bit.listserv.ibm-main)