Re: [SLE] CD Writer misbehaving in 9.1!!!

From: Sid Boyce (sboyce_at_blueyonder.co.uk)
Date: 12/17/04

    Date: Fri, 17 Dec 2004 13:29:04 +0000
    To: suse-linux-e@suse.com

    Mrugesh Karnik wrote:
    >>k3b should detect the drive without problem. If it
    >>does not, there is
    >>something else wrong. Try from terminal, as root to
    >>issue:
    >>#cdrecord dev=ATA -scanbus
    >>
    >>this should list all ATAPI devices attached. Try
    >>this as regular user
    >>as well, to see if it is the same. If you see your
    >>device, the k3b
    >>should recognize it too. Actually k3b is only a very
    >>good frontend to
    >>various programs, incl. cdrecord.
    >

    > Here's the cdrecord output as a regular user
    >
    > ZY$�: Operation not permitted. WARNING: Cannot
    > set RR-scheduler
    > ZY$�: Permission denied. WARNING: Cannot set
    > priority using setpriority().
    > ZY$�: WARNING: This causes a high risk for
    > buffer underruns.
    > Cdrecord-Clone-dvd 2.01a27 (i686-suse-linux) Copyright
    > (C) 1995-2004 Jörg Schilling
    > Note: This version is an unofficial (modified) version
    > with DVD support
    > Note: and therefore may have bugs that are not present
    > in the original.
    > Note: Please send bug reports or support requests to
    > http://www.suse.de/feedback
    > Note: The author of cdrecord should not be bothered
    > with problems in this version.
    > scsidev: 'ATA'
    > devname: 'ATA'
    > scsibus: -2 target: -2 lun: -2
    > cdrecord: No such file or directory. Cannot open
    > '/dev/hd*'. Cannot open SCSI driver.
    > cdrecord: For possible targets try 'cdrecord
    > -scanbus'. Make sure you are root.
    > cdrecord: For possible transport specifiers try
    > 'cdrecord dev=help'.
    >

    > And here's the output as root:
    >
    > Cdrecord-Clone-dvd 2.01a27 (i686-suse-linux) Copyright
    > (C) 1995-2004 Jörg Schilling
    > Note: This version is an unofficial (modified) version
    > with DVD support
    > Note: and therefore may have bugs that are not present
    > in the original.
    > Note: Please send bug reports or support requests to
    > http://www.suse.de/feedback
    > Note: The author of cdrecord should not be bothered
    > with problems in this version.
    > scsidev: 'ATA'
    > devname: 'ATA'
    > scsibus: -2 target: -2 lun: -2
    > Linux sg driver version: 3.5.27
    > Using libscg version 'schily-0.8'.
    > cdrecord: Warning: using inofficial libscg transport
    > code version
    > (okir@suse.de-scsi-linux-sg.c-1.80-resmgr-patch
    > '@(#)scsi-linux-sg.c 1.80 04/03/08 Copyright 1997 J.
    > Schilling').
    > scsibus1:
    > 1,0,0 100) 'SAMSUNG ' 'CD-R/RW SW-252B '
    > 'R701' Removable CD-ROM
    > 1,1,0 101) *
    > 1,2,0 102) *
    > 1,3,0 103) *
    > 1,4,0 104) *
    > 1,5,0 105) *
    > 1,6,0 106) *
    > 1,7,0 107) *

    Schilling has issues with the Linux kernel developers and the anti-SuSE
    propaganda is just another rant amounting to FUD. Since the kernel took
    the direction to move away from calling an IDE device a SCSI, he's been
    riled, though Linus wrote a workaround. Here's what I've done, in
    /boot/grub/menu.lst, I've altered hdb=ide-scsi to hdb=ide-cd and used
    xcdroast, putting that problem to bed, but I know many people are using
    k3b successfully, they're happy using k3b and I'm happy using xcdroast
    with the latest greatest cdrtools that Schilling writes - as Linus says,
    be happy!.
    Regards
    Sid.

    --
    Sid Boyce .... Hamradio G3VBV and keen Flyer
    =====LINUX ONLY USED HERE=====

    • Re: cdrecord doesnt like me anymore, resolved
      ... although ATA turned out to be better. ... This version is an unofficial version with DVD support ... Note: Please send bug reports or support requests to http://bugzilla.redhat.com/bugzilla ... The author of cdrecord should not be bothered with problems in this version. ...
      (Fedora)
    • [SLE] 2.6.9 burning problem
      ... I use 9.1 and kernel 2.6.9 with the 'bootsplash' patch ONLY. ... CDs as root they work, ... /usr/bin/cdrecord: For possible targets try 'cdrecord -scanbus'. ... Please send bug reports or support requests to ...
      (SuSE)
    • Re: cdrecord local root exploit
      ... > (versus having to su to root). ... > modify the permissions on your cd device to allow it to access them. ... really any safer than the author's suggestion to set cdrecord permissions ... needs to be installed suid root or must be called via ...
      (Bugtraq)
    • [ GLSA 200409-18 ] cdrtools: Local root vulnerability in cdrecord if set SUID root
      ... cdrecord, if manually set SUID root, is vulnerable to a local root ... exploit allowing users to escalate privileges. ... popular cdrecord command-line utility. ... Max Vozeler discovered that the cdrecord utility, when set to SUID ...
      (Bugtraq)
    • [Full-Disclosure] [ GLSA 200409-18 ] cdrtools: Local root vulnerability in cdrecord if set SUID root
      ... cdrecord, if manually set SUID root, is vulnerable to a local root ... exploit allowing users to escalate privileges. ... popular cdrecord command-line utility. ... Max Vozeler discovered that the cdrecord utility, when set to SUID ...
      (Full-Disclosure)