Re: [SLE] CD Writer misbehaving in 9.1!!!

From: Sid Boyce (sboyce_at_blueyonder.co.uk)
Date: 12/17/04

    Date: Fri, 17 Dec 2004 13:29:04 +0000
    To: suse-linux-e@suse.com

    Mrugesh Karnik wrote:
    >>k3b should detect the drive without problem. If it
    >>does not, there is
    >>something else wrong. Try from terminal, as root to
    >>issue:
    >>#cdrecord dev=ATA -scanbus
    >>
    >>this should list all ATAPI devices attached. Try
    >>this as regular user
    >>as well, to see if it is the same. If you see your
    >>device, the k3b
    >>should recognize it too. Actually k3b is only a very
    >>good frontend to
    >>various programs, incl. cdrecord.
    >

    > Here's the cdrecord output as a regular user
    >
    > ZY$�: Operation not permitted. WARNING: Cannot
    > set RR-scheduler
    > ZY$�: Permission denied. WARNING: Cannot set
    > priority using setpriority().
    > ZY$�: WARNING: This causes a high risk for
    > buffer underruns.
    > Cdrecord-Clone-dvd 2.01a27 (i686-suse-linux) Copyright
    > (C) 1995-2004 Jörg Schilling
    > Note: This version is an unofficial (modified) version
    > with DVD support
    > Note: and therefore may have bugs that are not present
    > in the original.
    > Note: Please send bug reports or support requests to
    > http://www.suse.de/feedback
    > Note: The author of cdrecord should not be bothered
    > with problems in this version.
    > scsidev: 'ATA'
    > devname: 'ATA'
    > scsibus: -2 target: -2 lun: -2
    > cdrecord: No such file or directory. Cannot open
    > '/dev/hd*'. Cannot open SCSI driver.
    > cdrecord: For possible targets try 'cdrecord
    > -scanbus'. Make sure you are root.
    > cdrecord: For possible transport specifiers try
    > 'cdrecord dev=help'.
    >

    > And here's the output as root:
    >
    > Cdrecord-Clone-dvd 2.01a27 (i686-suse-linux) Copyright
    > (C) 1995-2004 Jörg Schilling
    > Note: This version is an unofficial (modified) version
    > with DVD support
    > Note: and therefore may have bugs that are not present
    > in the original.
    > Note: Please send bug reports or support requests to
    > http://www.suse.de/feedback
    > Note: The author of cdrecord should not be bothered
    > with problems in this version.
    > scsidev: 'ATA'
    > devname: 'ATA'
    > scsibus: -2 target: -2 lun: -2
    > Linux sg driver version: 3.5.27
    > Using libscg version 'schily-0.8'.
    > cdrecord: Warning: using inofficial libscg transport
    > code version
    > (okir@suse.de-scsi-linux-sg.c-1.80-resmgr-patch
    > '@(#)scsi-linux-sg.c 1.80 04/03/08 Copyright 1997 J.
    > Schilling').
    > scsibus1:
    > 1,0,0 100) 'SAMSUNG ' 'CD-R/RW SW-252B '
    > 'R701' Removable CD-ROM
    > 1,1,0 101) *
    > 1,2,0 102) *
    > 1,3,0 103) *
    > 1,4,0 104) *
    > 1,5,0 105) *
    > 1,6,0 106) *
    > 1,7,0 107) *

    Schilling has issues with the Linux kernel developers and the anti-SuSE
    propaganda is just another rant amounting to FUD. Since the kernel took
    the direction to move away from calling an IDE device a SCSI, he's been
    riled, though Linus wrote a workaround. Here's what I've done, in
    /boot/grub/menu.lst, I've altered hdb=ide-scsi to hdb=ide-cd and used
    xcdroast, putting that problem to bed, but I know many people are using
    k3b successfully, they're happy using k3b and I'm happy using xcdroast
    with the latest greatest cdrtools that Schilling writes - as Linus says,
    be happy!.
    Regards
    Sid.

    --
    Sid Boyce .... Hamradio G3VBV and keen Flyer
    =====LINUX ONLY USED HERE=====