[SLE] Missing WIFI Interface

From: Rob Young (ry_sa_at_sbcglobal.net)
Date: 12/29/04

    Date: Wed, 29 Dec 2004 09:20:55 -0600

    I have been running SUSE 9.1 very successfully on my work laptop (Dell
    C640) for several months. This is quite the feat as my company is
    completely MS-centric.

    The problem is that an interface for the internal WIFI adapter is not
    reliably created at boot time.

    The internal WIFI card (TrueMobile 1150 Series PC Card) is always
    detected and the kernel loads orinoco_cs on every boot. The problem is
    that an interface (should be eth1 as eth0 is the internal fast ethernet
    adapter) is not created unless the laptop is in close proximity to the
    access point and the WIFI configuration is correct for that AP.

     For example, when configured for my home network, the laptop will not
    create eth1 if booted in the living room (fairly weak signal) but will
    create eth1 when started in the office (strong signal). Sometimes it
    takes several reboots for the interface to be created. Nothing changes
    from one reboot to the next, the interface is just magically created.

    As the internal WIFI adapter is on the PCMCIA bus, I have tried "cardctl
    ident" when the interface is missing and the card is correctly
    identified. Running "cardctl reset" or "eject"/"insert" has no effect.
    Changing the Network Device configuration in Yast correctly saves the
    modified config, but does not restart the interface (maybe because there
    is no interface?)

    Can anyone help me with this?