[SLE] USB Webcam under SuSE 9.2

From: jalal (the_jalal_at_fastmail.fm)
Date: 01/01/05

    Date: Sat, 01 Jan 2005 13:00:09 +0100
    To: suse-linux-e@suse.com

    Hi all

    Happy New Year to ya!

    Santa brought me a new Webcam that, it turns out, is not quite supported
    under Linux. No matter, I was going to give it a go with the ZC030x
    driver and see if anything happens. (The camera is a Creative Webcam NX
    Pro).

    Anyway, it raised the question, when I plug the camera into the USB
    port, the usb system recognizes that something is plugged in.
    Somehow, it needs to know to load a video driver to activate /dev/video,
    but how does the usb system know what to load?
    modprobe.conf contains a line 'alias char-major-81 videodev' which
    should get it loaded but "someone" in the system needs to know how to
    call that.

    I don't quite understand yet how the USB system pulls in the modules
    that it might need, anyone have any clues or pointers to further reading
    on the matter?

    TIA
    jalal

    --
    GPG fingerprint = 3D45 5509 D380 26A4 523E  A9D8 A66A 5F38 CA43 BB0E

    • Re: Webcam setup
      ... Frank McCormick wrote: ... I am trying to test a Webcam (it's recognized by the USB system) on ... my Sid installation and am getting nowhere. ...
      (Debian-User)
    • Re: Webcam setup
      ... I am trying to test a Webcam (it's recognized by the USB system) on ... my Sid installation and am getting nowhere. ... To UNSUBSCRIBE, email to debian-user-REQUEST@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx ...
      (Debian-User)
    • Webcam setup
      ... I am trying to test a Webcam (it's recognized by the USB system) on my Sid ... installation and am getting nowhere. ... To UNSUBSCRIBE, email to debian-user-REQUEST@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx ...
      (Debian-User)
    • Re: assigning specific /dev/videoN to specific USB webcams
      ... so it doesn't matter which is assigned /dev/ ... 1 pcHDTV 3000 and a webcam. ... the webcam always seems to be / ... dev/video0, but the PVR-250 and the pcHDTV seem to be randomly assigned / ...
      (comp.os.linux.misc)
    • MSN 7.0 Webcam bug
      ... When I plug in two webcam on PC (no matter it is logitech ... The problem will disappear. ...
      (microsoft.public.windowsxp.messenger)