[SLE] Kfloppy formatting

From: Mike Roy (mjroy2416_at_rogers.com)
Date: 01/07/05

    To: suse-amd64@suse.com
    Date: Fri, 7 Jan 2005 07:21:24 -0500

    Hello everyone:
            I'm experiencing some problems trying
    to get Kfloppy to format a floppy disk. I'm
    running SuSE 9.1 (32-bit) on an older machine
    and SuSE 9.1 (64-bit) on the new machine. In
    either case, the floppies won't format.
            I've even tried the command line approach

            fdformat /dev/fd0 (u or h) 1440

            and while the terminal seems to be working,
    the floppies are not formatted. When I try Kfloppy,
    the menu 'greys out' (after the 'destroy data' warning).
    Seems to me that when Kfloppy is working properly,
    there's a horizontal bar indicator showing the work
    being done (as a percentage). This 'bar' does not
    appear now.
            On the older machine, I've adjusted the fstab so that
    the floppy drive must be 'mounted' and 'unmounted' and
    not 'automatically mounted' as on the new machine.
            Any ideas greatly appreciated.
    Cheers,
    Mike