[SLE] Kfloppy formatting

From: Mike Roy (mjroy2416_at_rogers.com)
Date: 01/07/05

    To: suse-amd64@suse.com
    Date: Fri, 7 Jan 2005 07:21:24 -0500

    Hello everyone:
            I'm experiencing some problems trying
    to get Kfloppy to format a floppy disk. I'm
    running SuSE 9.1 (32-bit) on an older machine
    and SuSE 9.1 (64-bit) on the new machine. In
    either case, the floppies won't format.
            I've even tried the command line approach

            fdformat /dev/fd0 (u or h) 1440

            and while the terminal seems to be working,
    the floppies are not formatted. When I try Kfloppy,
    the menu 'greys out' (after the 'destroy data' warning).
    Seems to me that when Kfloppy is working properly,
    there's a horizontal bar indicator showing the work
    being done (as a percentage). This 'bar' does not
    appear now.
            On the older machine, I've adjusted the fstab so that
    the floppy drive must be 'mounted' and 'unmounted' and
    not 'automatically mounted' as on the new machine.
            Any ideas greatly appreciated.
    Cheers,
    Mike

    • Re: [SLE] Kfloppy formatting
      ... > to get Kfloppy to format a floppy disk. ... > either case, the floppies won't format. ...
      (SuSE)
    • Re: floppy disk controller broken
      ... when testing FreeBSD-7.1-BETA i discovered that the floppy disk ... controller doesn't work correctly. ... Processing fdformat: ioctl: Device not configured ... It looks like the ioctl to format a track used to never report failures from ...
      (freebsd-stable)
    • Re: Making disk images of NorthStar CP/M disks with Catweasel
      ... arbitrary hard sector floppy disk into the DMK format. ... format and another which decoded the DMK image into useful NorthStar ...
      (comp.os.cpm)
    • This is SO annoying, please help! :-)
      ... Every time I try and access ANY form of floppy disk on my computer, ... "Windows cannot format this drive. ... I do as it says and simply get the same error message. ... I also have norton internet security 2003 installed on the computer, ...
    • Re: Error Message: "No ID on Disk"
      ... After you perform a quick format on an unformatted floppy disk in Windows NT ... > Visit Topic URL to contact author (reg. ...