[SLE] Unsuccessfull installation of SuSE 9.2 Pro

From: Marek Libra (mlibra_at_centrum.cz)
Date: 01/07/05

    Date:	Fri, 07 Jan 2005 16:51:00 +0100
    To: <suse-linux-e@suse.com>

    Hi,

    I have SuSE 9.2 Pro, but I can't install it.
    I have notebook Umax 575T - Celeron 2.4GHz, 512MB RAM, 40GB HDD, DVD/CDRW. This computer successfully run SuSE 9.1 downloaded from FTP and SuSE 9.0 installed from CDs. I made no changes in BIOS settings between installations.

    I use no external device during installation (nothing is connected expect power supply).
    In 'Rescue mode' I called 'badblocks -w /dev/hda' but no errors have been found.

    I tried unsuccessfully many variants of installation, I allways choosed 'New installation'. I will describe some of them:

    1st type of attemps:
    In bootloader I choosed 'Installation', accroding to the manual I tried the kernel param 'hdc=cdrom' too. I used the default settings expect the language (I changed it from english to czech) and disk partitioning (hda1: 500MB for swap, hda2 is the rest used for /).
    Formatting finished ok (reiser) and the packages started to be installed. During this process my computer freezes, during many attemps it freezes on different packages (the last attemp was freezed on 'coreutils-5.2.1'). I'm not sure but I thing the freezing is after reaching 100% on progress bar. By the freezing I mean that I can't move mouse cursor, the hours on mouse cursor stops and no commands from keyboard are catched.

    2nd:
    The type of installation is 'Installation - Safe Settings'. I tryed the kernel parametr 'hdc=cdrom' again. The disk partitioning I used is the same as previous. The installation process stoped during formating of hda2. The LED of HDD was lighting (always) and cursor COULD BE moved. But after half an hour no progress - the LED didn't stoped to light and no package started to be installed. In log at tty4 were messages that the frequency of CPU has been changed (I don't understand it). A couple of this messages were printed during filling of swap and many of them (more than 120) were printed during formatiing (I mean a while after using swap). The messages are in relation with kernel's accessing the HDD.

    3rd:
    'Installation - ACPI Disabled'. I tried the default kernel parameters only. The progress is for me from the user's point of view very similar to the first type of attemps. During the last attemp of this type the computer frezed on 'db-4.2.52' package, again on 100% progress bar.

    Please, how do I install my new SuSE?

    Thank you very much.

    • SuSE 9.0 Pro and HP Pavilion laptop (ZE4357EA)
      ... I recently bought a HP Pavilion ZE4357EA laptop and installed SuSE 8.2 Pro ... see the Lilo bootloader which gives me all the possible installation ... But when I boot from the SuSE 9.0 Pro DVD or CD, ...
      (alt.os.linux.suse)
    • Re: Installing Suse Linux 10
      ... but you obviously didn't read it before doing the installation. ... I have three books on SUSE ... Grub is your boot loader. ... harddrive containing Windows, is the "ideal" solution. ...
      (alt.os.linux)
    • Re: SuSE 9.1 Pro and Video problems on Dell Inspiron 3800/ATI video
      ... <SuSE 7.3 Pro two years ago. ... <ATI Rage Pro display adapter. ... one of the things I noticed on 9.1 installation chosing the ... in init 3 instead of init 5. ...
      (alt.os.linux.suse)
    • solution: installing SuSE 9.2 on cerc megaraid system
      ... Dell 500SC with a CERC megaraid controller, ... Apparently this issue started with a Yast-provided kernel upgrade on ... SuSE 9.1. ... Do a SuSE 9.1 installation from CD. ...
      (alt.os.linux.suse)
    • Re: shell Hell
      ... resized on the fly without unmounting the filesystem. ... so I could continue the installation process. ... /etc/init.d/rc is called with the runlevel as an argument. ... Very BSD like.Very simple architecture compared to SuSE. ...
      (alt.os.linux.suse)