Re: [SLE] default execute permission

From: Randall R Schulz (rschulz_at_sonic.net)
Date: 01/11/05

    To: suse-linux-e@suse.com
    Date: Mon, 10 Jan 2005 18:23:21 -0800

    Ryan,

    On Monday 10 January 2005 14:27, Ryan McCain wrote:
    > Hello,
    >
    > Im using SLES 8. My system umask is set to 022. When a file is
    > created the permissions are set to -rw-r--r--. How can I make it so
    > that any new file created is executable by the owner?

    Nothing you can do will accomplish that. There is the umask mechanism
    (as Carlos pointed out), but it operates by _removing_ permission bits
    when files are created. The program that creates the file will use
    permissions like 0666 for plain files and 0777 for executable files and
    directories.

    Thus, you'll find that linker ("ld") output is executable (with umask
    bits turned off, of course) but that ordinary text files created by a
    text editor will not. If such files are scripts, then you'll have to
    add the execute bits yourself:

    % chmod +x scriptFile

    There's basically nothing you can do to work around this mechanism,
    since it's a matter of both the creating application and the
    kernel-imposed umask mechanism. Apart from the umask setting itself,
    none of this is within your control.

    > Thanks,
    > Ryan

    Randall Schulz

    • Re: Problem with IIS 6.0 serving .NET applications
      ... It's working now because you need to have "scripts and executable" ... > to "None" and I'd get the content of the exe shown in the browser, ... >> Did you set Application & Scripts execute permissions? ... >>> execute permission on that Virutal Directory, ...
    • Re: [Full-Disclosure] Another IE trick (Re: IE sucks : sun java virtual machine insecure tmp file cr
      ... You can specifically remove the "execute" permission (depending how you ... the Windows FILE_EXECUTE permission is that the latter does not prevent ... execution of scripts (either Windows "shell scripts" such as .BAT and ...
      (Full-Disclosure)
    • Re: Message - Vuser directory is not writable.
      ... folder's content, execute another script/file, etc etc. ... Check the parent directory's permission too. ... It was my work very much, every time i have to save the scripts in new ...
      (comp.software.testing)
    • Re: [SLE] default execute permission
      ... Ryan ... add the execute bits yourself: ... kernel-imposed umask mechanism. ... Please read the FAQs: suse-linux-e-faq@suse.com ...
      (SuSE)
    • Re: perldoc perlsec question
      ... > 711 for all scripts. ... Perl scripts, not being native binaries, must ... So giving them execute ... permission without read permission is no different from not giving them ...
      (comp.lang.perl.misc)