Re: [SLE] default execute permission

From: Randall R Schulz (rschulz_at_sonic.net)
Date: 01/11/05

    To: suse-linux-e@suse.com
    Date: Mon, 10 Jan 2005 18:23:21 -0800

    Ryan,

    On Monday 10 January 2005 14:27, Ryan McCain wrote:
    > Hello,
    >
    > Im using SLES 8. My system umask is set to 022. When a file is
    > created the permissions are set to -rw-r--r--. How can I make it so
    > that any new file created is executable by the owner?

    Nothing you can do will accomplish that. There is the umask mechanism
    (as Carlos pointed out), but it operates by _removing_ permission bits
    when files are created. The program that creates the file will use
    permissions like 0666 for plain files and 0777 for executable files and
    directories.

    Thus, you'll find that linker ("ld") output is executable (with umask
    bits turned off, of course) but that ordinary text files created by a
    text editor will not. If such files are scripts, then you'll have to
    add the execute bits yourself:

    % chmod +x scriptFile

    There's basically nothing you can do to work around this mechanism,
    since it's a matter of both the creating application and the
    kernel-imposed umask mechanism. Apart from the umask setting itself,
    none of this is within your control.

    > Thanks,
    > Ryan

    Randall Schulz