Re: [SLE] Dual-booting...or trying, heh

From: Catimimi (catimimi_at_libertysurf.fr)
Date: 02/10/05

    Date: Thu, 10 Feb 2005 22:01:03 +0100
    To: SLE <suse-linux-e@suse.com>

    Bruce Marshall a écrit :

    >On Thursday 10 February 2005 03:06 pm, Chris wrote:

    Hi all,

    Let me tell what I've understood since the question was not clear.

    I think that John has Linux installed on drive hda (partition hda1), and
    Windows 98 on drive hdb.
    He wants that his boot loader has two entries, one for Linux on hda and
    one for Windows on
    drive hdb.

    If it is your problem John, you have to know that the bios is unable to
    boot a second hard drive !
    Nevertheless, you can do that with GRUB, I boot even from the third hard
    drive !

    You need GRUB and not LILO, edit the file : /boot/grub/menu.lst so that
    it looks like below for the
    Windows 98 entry :

    # Modified by YaST2. Last modification on Fri Nov 26 09:41:53 2004

    color white/blue black/light-gray
    default 0
    timeout 8
    gfxmenu (hd0,5)/message

    title Linux SUSE 9.2
        kernel (hd0,0)/boot/vmlinuz root=/dev/hda1 vga=0x314 selinux=0
    splash=silent resume=/dev/hda1 desktop elevator=as showopts
        initrd (hd0,0)/boot/initrd

    title Windows 98
        map (hd0) (hd1)
        map (hd1) (hd0)
        root (hd1,0)
        chainloader +1

    The two map instructions are swapping hd0 and hd1 so that the Bios
    thinks that it is booting from the first hard disk !!

    The Linux entry is an example which supposes that you have only one
    partition, modify it in order to get
    your own configuration.

    Did I understand your problem, and is this a solution to it ?

    As far as I know, there is no solution with Lilo.

    Good luck.

    Michel.

    • RE: XP Pro boot hanging
      ... Digital HDD, for Sager laptop; using Acronis True Image 11, boot disk. ... Neither drive will boot into Windows. ... I checked drives ...
      (microsoft.public.windowsxp.general)
    • Re: Problems with dual boot system
      ... > I then i tried rebooting and it just booted linux, ... > so i figured it was probably just an erorr with the boot ... is your windows system still there? ... bootable disk assuming that your main bootable disk is your IDE primary ...
      (Fedora)
    • Re: New to linux..looking for program I can boot and run off CD
      ... >>and he was using a windows os but booted and run Linux programs off a CD. ... >having to do a dual boot thing on my current machine. ... > That would be Knoppix or one of it's derivatives. ...
      (alt.linux)
    • Re: Looking for dual booting advice
      ... I'm going to dual boot WinXP and Linux from a single HD. ... should be installed BEFORE or AFTER Windows. ... It is not really a big deal if you install Linux first then MS ...
      (comp.os.linux.misc)
    • Re: GRUB problem (double windows + linux)
      ... For years I've been able to boot my windows and ... but suddenly neither of both windows ... versions respond, Linux does start normally. ... Are the two Windows drives Master on SEPARATE IDE controllers, ...
      (comp.os.linux.setup)