Re: [SLE] Mounting FAT32 partitions with write permissions?

From: Kevanf1 (kevanf1_at_gmail.com)
Date: 04/18/05

    Date: Mon, 18 Apr 2005 11:16:58 +0100
    To: suse-linux-e@suse.com

    On 4/17/05, Mike McMullin <mwmcmlln@mnsi.net> wrote:
    > On Sun, 2005-04-17 at 10:13, Hugo wrote:
    > > Hi!
    > >
    > > This must be a FAQ, but I just can not find the right answer from the
    > > SuSE docs are even from Google. So please could somebody help me?
    > >
    > > I have dual boot with windows and SuSE 9.2 Pro. Windows is on NTFS
    > > partition and I have one common FAT32 partition to share data between
    > > the the two. I have managed to mount both with the YaST Partitioner
    > > (NTFS as read only obviously). The FAT partition should be available
    > > for writing by all users. Currently it is - locally. BUT I'm not at
    > > all sure about whether it has been done as it should?
    >
    > I noticed that Knoppix 3.8.1 has an option for writing ones home
    > configuration information to an NTFS drive. Just in passing.
    >

    > > But what would be the "correct" settings for mounting? I mean, what
    > > should be at the /etc/fstab? Char set settings? And all that? I
    > > imagine this is the most common mounting problem home users (=dual
    > > booters) will have.
    >
    > From my /etc/fstab vfat indicates one of my fat32 partitions.
    >
    > /dev/hda1 /windows/C vfat auto,users,rw,umask=0 0 0 0 0
    >
    > > Currently I can not write to the FAT partition over samba. What should
    > > be the samba settings for that share? (Workgroup setting and other
    > > samba shares, like home dirs, are ok... so basic samba settings are
    > > ok.) This is the next problem the home users will have...
    >
    > It's not actually necessary to use samba for writing to a hard drive
    > directly connected to your system, ie, not networked.
    >
    > > So any pointers to a FAQ somewhere? Examples? Or just plain knowledge
    > > that you might want to share. I'd appreciate!
    > It has been suggested that a FAQ of sorts be done up for a number of
    > these repeating questions. I suppose it's time to start one.

    The wiki idea was a good one. That way the less knowledgable types
    (like me) could also contribute with the smaller snippets that we
    discover along the way...

    --
    Take care.
    Kevan Farmer

    • Re: Continue with the FAQ, please
      ... Hard to imagine given your earlier words that you did not intend to ... criticizing his writing (and someone else's writing to which he ... I have some imaginary grudge agains Ian, ... the FAQ is perfectly acceptable if you set your standards low ...
      (soc.religion.quaker)
    • Re: x86 binary runs; x86_64 binary throws segfault
      ... Frequently Asked Questions (FAQ) site, ... particularly the relationship between arrays and pointers. ... example, because I declared an array of char, then passed a pointer to ... I've already caught myself writing to ...
      (comp.lang.c)
    • Re: Creative Writing
      ... I've always enjoyed writing and now I want to take more steps with doing ... I requested information on 'The Writers Bureau' as it 'appeared' to be ... for rejection from publishers who tend only to send a short, ... Whatever you do, DO read the FAQ. ...
      (uk.culture.arts.writing)
    • Re: Warning: Bad Fan Fiction Ahead.
      ... for crit should be no more than 500 words long and should have CRIT in ... that most established groups have a FAQ to read. ... Writing is just an occasional hobby to me. ... or any other forum that reprints usenet posts as ...
      (rec.arts.sf.composition)
    • Re: CRIY: Thanks - your input helped.
      ... pretty much 'stream of conciousness' writing -- I'm sharing with this ... Another source of critiques is to join an online group. ... BTW, everyone, I'm out of practise on this keeper of the FAQ thingy. ... it okay for me just to bluntly post the relevant portions of the FAQ, ...
      (rec.arts.sf.composition)