[SLE] Portable Linux apps...

From: Jim Flanagan (linuxjim_at_jjfiii.com)
Date: 04/30/05

    Date: Fri, 29 Apr 2005 22:36:37 -0500 (CDT)
    To: suse-linux-e@suse.com

    Further to my earlier post about portable kmail, what would stop someone
    from making a portable anything, and haveing it boot in a small linux from
    a flash card?

    It could be anything that would fit on the card. It could boot and run the
    app or apps. You could have storageless computers, boot linux, and run
    whatever app was present as well. Just your app on a stick. No installed
    OS. No storage to keep/save cookies, crumbles, or other bits of your
    online DNA. Just boot, do your stuff, and get on with more important
    stuff, like. Sending money to me.

    Just kidding. About the other stuff, not about sending me money :)

    Anyway, maybe someone is working on this already.

    Sorry for the more ramglings. If this type stuff is too OT, let me know
    and I'll switch it to suse-ot.

    --
    Jim Flanagan
    linuxjim at jjfiii.co

    • Re: Question about GRUB
      ... I want the original Windows boot menu to initially ... the particular app on Linux a few times a year. ...
      (comp.os.linux.setup)
    • Re: RH 9.0 doesnt install: blank screen! (RH 8.0 & 7.2 do though)
      ... Tried 'linux text noprobe skipddc noapic apm=off noht'. ... I wanted to try on and so I chose 7 boot options: ... linux text noprobe skipddc lowres apm=off noapic nousb ...
      (linux.redhat.install)
    • Re: installation problems
      ... RH 9 had trashed my Linux partition and rendered my PC unbootable. ... >you can create the floppy from and can be created on a differnet ... >on the CD as the floppy boot image. ... and since flash drives seem to be listed in /proc as scsi devices, ...
      (comp.os.linux.misc)
    • RE: Linux hacked
      ... Subject: Linux hacked ... After you boot up into the OS running from CD, ... >> First let me say I'm a security novice. ... >> been unsuccessful in getting root back. ...
      (Security-Basics)
    • Re: New to linux..looking for program I can boot and run off CD
      ... >>and he was using a windows os but booted and run Linux programs off a CD. ... >having to do a dual boot thing on my current machine. ... > That would be Knoppix or one of it's derivatives. ...
      (alt.linux)