Re: [SLE] Eclipse Update Manager broken?

From: Randall R Schulz (rschulz_at_sonic.net)
Date: 05/01/05

    To: suse-linux-e@suse.com
    Date: Sat, 30 Apr 2005 15:45:55 -0700

    Mike,

    On Saturday 30 April 2005 15:25, Mike McCallister wrote:
    > Hi folks!
    >
    > I've been playing a little bit with Eclipse 3.0. I installed it on my
    > SUSE 9.2 system with YaST, but when I try to update to Eclipse SDK
    > v3.0.2 through the Eclipse Update Manager, it won't complete the
    > process. It appears to connect, download and verify the updated
    > files, but quits when trying to install a file. Error message reads:
    >
    > Unable to complete action for feature "Eclipse Project SDK" due to
    > errors. Unable to complete action for feature "Eclipse Platform" due
    > to errors. Unable to create file
    > "/usr/share/eclipse/plugins/org.apache.ant_1.6.2/META-INF/MANIFEST111
    >4897983762.MF".
    > [/usr/share/eclipse/plugins/org.apache.ant_1.6.2/META-INF/MANIFEST111
    >4897983762.MF (Permission denied)]
    > Unable to create file
    > "/usr/share/eclipse/plugins/org.apache.ant_1.6.2/META-INF/MANIFEST111
    >4897983762.MF".
    > [/usr/share/eclipse/plugins/org.apache.ant_1.6.2/META-INF/MANIFEST111
    >4897983762.MF (Permission denied)]
    >
    > /usr/share/eclipse is owned by Root, and I have changed the
    > permissions of /usr/share/eclipse to allow the Eclipse group (of one
    > user--me) to Read,Write and eXecute to any file and dir in the
    > branch. I'm running Eclipse as the User, as I would expect to.
    >
    > Any thoughts appreciated.

    I think you're running as some non-root user, and hence cannot write
    into the appropriate directories within the Eclipse directory
    hierarchy, which is required in order to effect the update.

    > Mike McCallister ProTek Writing Services

    Randall Schulz

    • Re: [fedora-java] Re: What is going on with Eclipse, and PUP? [SOLVED, but other issues]
      ... You can't *update* things installed as RPMs. ... can, however, install new things. ... target directory is a bug and all packages should be user-definable ... The eclipse SRPM is the Eclipse SDK and is divided up by Eclipse ...
      (Fedora)
    • Re: A constructive debate: Eclipse or NetBeans?
      ... With Eclipse you do: ... compiling the trivial OpenGL demos with JOGL using "ant" is vastly more ... Sun's Java implementation. ... Automatic install and setup of many standard libraries. ...
      (comp.lang.java.softwaretools)
    • Re: Unrelieved black popups and message boxes
      ... But now that you mention Eclipse, I installed it recently, just to try to build a development environment for Android mobile apps. ... I also hear from another source that this issue has plagued F16 and F17, in the first weeks following their respective releases. ... Well, I missed F16 completely, and didn't install F17 until November, when the release cycle was almost gone. ...
      (Fedora)
    • RE: FC4 - Eclipse problem
      ... >An Eclipse feature is a collection of Eclipse plugins. ... what I mean - is say that I manually install the WST bundle into ... >surprised that your latest update came from JPackage. ...
      (Fedora)
    • Problem running eclipse
      ... I'm have no experience at all with Java and I just installed Eclipse ... install itself in /usr/share and because I don't have write permission ... console and running Eclipse again as root user. ... !MESSAGE An error occurred while automatically activating bundle org.eclipse.ui.workbench. ...
      (comp.lang.java.help)