[SLE] 9.3: keyboard, zip disks, mounting encrypted FS, KDE Samba

AmigaPhil_at_ping.be
Date: 06/11/05

    Date: 11 Jun 2005 21:29:47 +0100
    To: suse-linux-e@suse.com

    Hello All,

    I'm a "beginner skilled" user of Linux and I recently installed the
    9.3 distribution.

    Everything went fine during the installation, but a few things seem wrong
    or stuck me now the installation and online update is completed:

    - The keyboard does no more work properly (missing keys, like the "@")
      It appears that X keyboard cannot be configured properly and switch
      back to a default setting.
      Using SaX2, I got the following error message:

        (WW) MGA(0): Option "CalcAlgorithm" is not used
        (EE) Couldn't load XKB keymap, falling back to pre-XKB keymap

      And from a console, the command "setxkbmap -v 10" return this:

        Setting verbose level to 10
        locale is C
        Applied rules from xfree86:
        model: pc104
        layout: be
        variant: basic
        Trying to build keymap using the following components:
        keycodes: sfree86+aliases(azerty)
        types: complete
        compat: complete
        symbols: pc/pc(104)+pc/be(basic)
        geometry: pc(pc104)
        Error loading new keyboard description

      This problem has been submitted to the Suse support team and is
      being investigated. Hopefully, this should be fixed soon.
      In the meantime (It's now a week I have to cut-and-paste the
      characters I can't produce with my keyboard), anyone has an idea ?
      (My keyboard is a Mitsumi 105 keys, Belgium layout, model KFKEA5SA)

    - Zip Disks (IOmega).
      Here is another request I sent to the Suse support team, but there
      will be no follow-up for this one (as "configuration of ZIP drives is
      not supported through the terms of the installation support"):

      As I understand, a (Iomega) ZIP disk is automatically mounted when you
      first access to it.
      But when I have finished using the disk, I cannot eject it. I tried
      to unmount it (as user), and got the error message that the device is
      probably mounted multiple time (?), and it failed. I have to unmount
      the ZIP drive as root to be able to eject the disk (then I can insert
      and eject other zip disks as normal).
      In fstab, here is the entry:

     /dev/hdd4 /media/zip auto noauto,user 0 0

      but in mtab, there are two entries (after the ZIP disk is first mounted):

     /dev/hdd4 /media/zip subfs rw,nosuid,nodev,sync,fs=floppyfss,procuid 0 0
     /dev/hdd4 /media/zip vfat rw,noexec,nosuid,nodev,user=amigaphil 0 0

      Where should I look to find the origin of the "excessive" mounting ?
      What should I modify/remove to be able to use the ZIP disk like
      a floppy disk, or at least not having to unmount the drive as root
      to be able to eject it ?

    - Mounting an encrypted FS in a file (at a mouse click)
      I have successfully created a encrypted filesystem in a file and I
      can mount/unmount it from a console.

      I wonder if there is a way to configure e.g. KDiskFree to make it
      prompt for the password when I try to mount the encrypted file ?
      Or is there a better way to mount/unmount it using GUI ? An icon
      on the desktop ?

    - Samba / KDE
      I'm trying to access my second computer using the KDE Samba client,
      but I'm getting all sorts of errors like "connection timeout", ...

      Is KDE/Samba reliable or should I configure my Suse/Linux machine
      as a Samba server ?

      Note: When I was using the 8.0 distribution, I found that the best
      (stable) way to access my Amiga computer shares was to mount the
      shares using LinNeighborghood (which is no more part of the 9.3)
      I believe the Samba support has improve in recent distributions,
      so I think I should still be able to access my Amiga shares now.
      I would like to see the shares being mounted (if the remote
      computer is available) as I log in as user.

    That's all for now ;-)

    Thanks.

    AmigaPhil, world citizen. _No MS-HTML mail please_ PGP key: 0x9C07F6C1

    • Re: Boot loader newbie confusion
      ... using a "distribution on a disk" to get it running normally. ... installation had trashed XP and occupied the ... there's instructions there how to make a grub boot disk. ...
      (linux.redhat)
    • Re: 7.1 update fails - update
      ... D7 disk on what is an installation from the D8 distribution. ... > Cheers - David ...
      (borland.public.delphi.non-technical)
    • Re: Spell checking
      ... that you can get a bad installation. ... What is the difference between Empty Trash and Empty Trash Securely? ... the disk file table to mark the file as "available for overwriting". ...
      (microsoft.public.mac.office.excel)
    • Re: Can you reduce bloated Windows Folder to increase disk space on La
      ... Installed Windows XP Home Edition SP1 from disk, ... Restore Point created and System files backed up in installation ... Highlight one of your drives and click on ...
      (microsoft.public.windowsxp.newusers)
    • Re: Need help to reanimate an AT&T AT&T 3B1/7300 UNIX-PC
      ... it available in source code format, and some people played with it. ... to clear the height of a full-height disk drive. ... diagnostics on the installation floppys for things like the ethernet ... installation -- but not the one which could handle formatting a second ...
      (comp.sys.3b1)