Re: [SLE] automaticaly send an IP change

From: James Knott (james.knott_at_rogers.com)
Date: 06/14/05

    Date: Tue, 14 Jun 2005 11:40:23 -0400
    To: suse-linux-e@suse.com

    Sunny wrote:
    > Hi,
    > I have to support the home computers of some friends. All of them are
    > newly converted :) to SuSE 9.2. All of them use DSL or cable Internet
    > access. The problem is that from time to time their ISPs change the
    > IPs of the modem, which prevents me to remotely administer the
    > machines without asking some of the people there to check what is
    > their current external IP by checking http://www.whatismyip.com/ or
    > the config of the modem.
    >
    > Is there a script/package which can check the external IP on regular
    > basis and send the changes to an email?

    Is the host name consistent? If so, you can just do a dns lookup. If
    the host name changes with the IP, then that won't work. Another
    possibility, is a dynamic dns server, which many firewall/routes can be
    configured to use.

    • Re: Remote Desktop Connection
      ... via hub which gets a DHCP address from the modem, ... Since I have DSL at the host I downloaded and installed on the host the ... as to attemps for the remote computer to login. ... Al Jarvi (MS-MVP Windows Networking) ...
    • Re: Probleme with nm-16am v1.0
      ... the router worked perfectly until electrical outage then the tow cards ... sh start - displays the time the config was last saved *however* ... modem country microcom_hdms europe ... interface FastEthernet0/0 ...
      (comp.dcom.sys.cisco)
    • Re: Q: IP addresses for interfaces and SBS 2003 (and more)
      ... Jim Behning SBS MVP wrote: ... > The only way to avoid lightning surges if they are direct hits is, ... > jumps in to an external modem then it can keep jumping through the db9 ... > or someone like godaddy host it. ...
      (microsoft.public.windows.server.sbs)
    • Re: USB re- configuration
      ... get descriptor command with index set to 1. ... The second get config descriptor command is issued only if i declare ... Now i check index and know that HOST has rejected the first config ... the device must be configured at a lower power like 100mA. ...
    • Re: Cant connect to web sites
      ... Have cable modem with a router. ... pinging google and yahoo resulted in "could not find host" ...
      (microsoft.public.windowsxp.general)