[SLE] Universal trash ? & Log in prob.

From: B. Stia (usr_at_sanctum.com)
Date: 06/16/05

    To: suse-linux-e@suse.com
    Date: Thu, 16 Jun 2005 00:18:47 -0400

    Hello SuSE people.

    First of all reunning 9.2 & KDE 3.4

    Universal trash is a question/warning for others. The log in problem is
    related/caused by that which I don't know how to fix.

    A little long-winded but necessary to understand the problem. History
    is: A few nights ago I ripped a movie DVD. When I finished I put the 7
    gig file in the trash. Last night I started to do a Kdar backup and
    started to get error messages. One being that /tmp was full and
    couldn't proceed. I have /tmp set to empty every time I boot up so I
    just rebooted. After the reboot, SuSE brings me to a screen message
    that says / directory is full and KDE is unable to start. I drop down
    to init 3 and look at the /tmp & / directories and find nothing
    obvious. Then I boot from the DVD and do a system repair. Still nothing
    obvious. My / directory is 2 gig and is normally about 20% used.
    After several hours of this I just start trying different things to
    empty those directories. /tmp IS empty after the reboot except for the
    normal boot stuff. Just the / directory is 100% full. I finally see
    the huge trash files and empty the trash for all 3 users AND root! That
    empties my / directory. Hence the question/warning. How is it
    possible that trash can be in root's trashcan?? Is the trash universal
    with all users?

    Anyway, that returned my / directory to normal and I reboot. Now I get
    to the log in screen and attempt to log in as my normal user. X starts
    it's thing and I am dumped back to the log in screen. I try the other
    users and they work normally and bring up their KDE screens. Only I
    cannot log in this way. I have to drop back to init 3 log in and then
    startx. Then I get my normal KDE screen.

    Why only me? and how do I go about fixing that ?

    Bob S.

    • Re: [SLE] Universal trash ? & Log in prob. Whoops!!
      ... > Universal trash is a question/warning for others. ... I have /tmp set to empty every time I boot up so I ... After the reboot, SuSE brings me to a screen message ... > screens. ...
      (SuSE)
    • Re: Word 2004, printing issue
      ... Print Layout,Preview and print screens, all look "normal". ... also, when I click the save disk, there is no sound, ... However it is printing "trash" and blanks. ...
      (microsoft.public.mac.office.word)
    • Re: OT Your not going to believe this.
      ... OK, in your opinion, so what is a good type and brand? ... I finally decided trash pickup costs money so I'll charge ... All big screens are damn garbage. ... what it costs to repair a plasma TV. $600 minimum *if* you can buy the ...
      (rec.games.pinball)
    • Re: OT Your not going to believe this.
      ... OK, in your opinion, so what is a good type and brand? ... I finally decided trash pickup costs money so I'll charge ... All big screens are damn garbage. ... what it costs to repair a plasma TV. $600 minimum *if* you can buy the ...
      (rec.games.pinball)
    • Re: Desktop in the Trash
      ... the HD icon so I just dragged everything back out of the trash onto the ... the trash and put them on the new desk. ... This doesn't work for all special folders, ... So go ahead, reboot. ...
      (uk.comp.sys.mac)