Re: [SLE] CDROM - can't play audio or data disks

From: Carlos F. Lange (carlos.lange_at_ualberta.ca)
Date: 06/24/05

    To: suse-mail <suse-linux-e@suse.com>
    Date: Fri, 24 Jun 2005 07:33:16 -0600

    I have a Dell Latitude D600 and got a similar problem.

    On Monday 20 June 2005 16:20, Ron Hauptfleisch wrote:
    > I am running SuSE 9.3 professional on a Dell Inspiron 9300. The machine
    > is a dual boot with Windows XP. Everything works great, except, I am
    > unable to mount or play audio or data cd's/DVD's.
    >
    > What Works:
    > I can install from the SUSE DVD via YAST. Once the SuSE DVD is mounted
    > by Yast I can access it.
    >
    > I can also burn CD's
    >
    > What Doesn't work
    >
    > I can't mount a cd and none of the audio apps will play an audio CD. I
    > get a variety of errors including "Drive Error" and "No Media" (or
    > something like that.

    My error message was a bit more clear and said that there was no entry
    for /dev/hdc in /etc/fstab.
    fstab had an entry for /dev/cdrecorder, which is linked to /dev/hdc.

    > I've tried all of the CD's and DVD's in Windows XP on this same machine,
    > same drive and all work.
    >
    > I've Tried mounting /dev/cdrom as root. It seems to work but when
    > opening the device I get the no media message (Not true, there is good
    > media in the drive).

    What worked for me was to edit /etc/fstab and write hdc instead of
    cdrecorder. The solution is not fully kosher, as I now get a new
    entry in /media for each CD or DVD with the title of the disk
    (such as SU930_001 and SU930_002 for the 2 SuSE DVDs),
    instead of a generic cdrecorder or dvd as mounted directory.

    But at least I can read the contents now.

    --
    Carlos