Re: [SLE] linux firewall or SUSE

From: Richard Bos (radoeka_at_xs4all.nl)
Date: 06/26/05

    To: suse-linux-e@suse.com
    Date: Sun, 26 Jun 2005 00:01:44 +0200

    Op zaterdag 25 juni 2005 12:48, schreef Anders Norrbring:
    > Is there a side-by-side comparison available somewhere?

    I found this
    (http://www.tomsnetworking.com/Reviews-178-ProdID-SMOOTHWALL-5.php):
    Since I recently reviewed ClarkConnect-another free Open Source firewall-I
    thought I'd offer a few points of comparison. The biggest difference between
    the two is that Smoothwall is designed to be a dedicated firewall only, while
    ClarkConnect can be a firewall, a server, or both. On the other hand, both
    distros are alike in that they are designed to be administered from a web
    based configuration utility.

    But I think Smoothwall's web interface is a little better laid out and easier
    to navigate than ClarkConnect's. And I found Smoothwall's online help system
    to be more helpful and complete than Clarkconnect's method of putting general
    descriptions alongside configuration options. In the end, both distros are
    reliable and will get the job done, while at the same time being easy for
    almost anyone to get up and running.

    --
    Richard Bos
    Without a home the journey is endless

    • Re: Advice on a firewall distro
      ... and I would rule out anything that *required* a web interface. ... servers behind it provide the 'services' and let the firewall do what he is ... Fewer services means fewer security risks, and as a central connection in the network, it is vital that the firewall machine is not compromised. ... But the heart of the firewall is the iptables setup - when that is correct, the risk to services on the firewall is the same as the risk if these services are on a different server. ...
      (comp.os.linux.networking)
    • Re: Netgear FR114P port 137 packets
      ... Mike wrote: ... >>The router/firewall does have a web interface. ... The firewall says it ...
      (comp.security.firewalls)
    • sshd on IPCop box malfunctioning
      ... predecessors) as their firewall. ... Whilst it appears to be performing its function correctly, ... I still log in to the box locally & also use the web interface to control it. ...
      (uk.comp.os.linux)
    • Re: Mandrake Single Network Firewall 7.2
      ... > Does anybody have any experience of Mandrake Single Network Firewall 7.2 ... > I'm thinking of putting up a firewall to protect a small network and have ... part of the package and can be managed through the web interface. ... view system logs, firewall logs, squid logs, etc from the web interface. ...
      (comp.security.firewalls)
    • RE: Looking for SW Firewall
      ... It has web interface for everything, does NAT and a whole bunch of other ... Subject: Looking for SW Firewall ... fwbuilder-2.0.10 Firewall Builder GUI and policy compilers ... libfwbuilder-2.0.10_1 Firewall Builder API ...
      (freebsd-questions)