Re: [SLE] Strange NFS Problem

From: Art Fore (art.fore_at_comcast.net)
Date: 08/08/05

    To: suse-linux-e@suse.com
    Date: Sun, 07 Aug 2005 16:46:26 -0700

    On Sun, 2005-08-07 at 16:02 -0700, Simon Roberts wrote:
    > Did you create the users on the different machines explicitly to have
    > the same UIDs? Or are you using NIS or some similar distributed name
    > service thingy?
    >
    > Log in as lilo on each machine and type "id" you want to see the same
    > numbers for UID and GID on each system.
    >
    > Cheers,
    > Simon
    >

    > --- Art Fore <art.fore@comcast.net> wrote:
    >
    > > I have a Suse 9.3 server running NFS server with two users, afore and
    > > lilo
    > >
    > > >From my client, also Suse 9.3, running NFS Client, I see the shared
    > > directories afore & lilo. File ownership is as it should be, afore
    > > for
    > > afore directory and lilo for lilo directory.
    > >
    > > I Lilo's machine is running Suse 9.2. First of all, when I setup the
    > > NFS
    > > client in Yast and try to select for the file system, it cannot find
    > > anything. I enter the /home directory same as on my Suse 9.3 machine.
    > > When I finish, it takes a long time for Yast to start the services
    > > again.
    > >
    > > I check the mount point, and the two directories are there, but afore
    > > as
    > > ownership of lilo and lilo folder has ownership of 2002!
    > >
    > > So, why does the select remote filesystem not work in 9.2 and work in
    > > 9.3 and why to the ownerships show up different on the two client
    > > machines.
    > >
    > > Server is set to allow all hosts and the firewalls turned off on all
    > > machines for test purposes.
    > >
    > > Art
    > >

    > > --
    > >

    > "You can tell whether a man is clever by his answers. You can tell whether a man is wise by his questions." — Naguib Mahfouz

    > http://mail.yahoo.com

    The server logins were made the same as the two other machines, but the
    UIDs are the default on all machines. On my machine and the server,
    afore is UID 1000, lilo is 1002 on the server, and her machine has lilo
    as 1000. If you go by UID, I can see where her machine would come up
    with what it does, but I would have though that NFS would take care of
    that. I have not had the problem in earlier version of Suse.

    Art