[SLE] SCSI Tape compression

From: Sebastian Jeremias (ljeremias_at_lightech.com.ar)
Date: 08/09/05

    Date: Tue, 09 Aug 2005 13:31:56 -0300
    To: suse-linux-e@suse.com

    Hi,
    I'm having troubles compressing a DDS-4 tape. I have an HP C5683A drive,
    and when I do 'mt -f /dev/nst0 status' (or mtst) I get:

    twist:/opt/ltt # mtst -f /dev/nst0 status
    SCSI 2 tape drive:
    File number=0, block number=0, partition=0.
    Tape block size 0 bytes. Density code 0x8c (EXB-8505 compressed).
    Soft error count since last status=0
    General status bits on (41010000):
    BOT ONLINE IM_REP_EN

    The problem is that it's not using compression, although it's turned on.
    My questions are:
    - Is EXB-8505 the right compression mode? I read you could change it to
    DDS-4, but what's the compression code for DDS-4?
    - Do I need a hardware specific driver for the SCSI controller for the
    O.S. to recognize the tape in the proper way?
    - Something I'm missing?

    Thanks in advance,
    Sebastian

    --