[SLE] Compiling SSH from ssh.org on Pro 9.3

From: Napp, Julie A. (Julie.Napp_at_jhuapl.edu)
Date: 08/09/05

  • Next message: Patrick Shanahan: "Re: [SLE] Knoppix test results: Was [SLE] Just installed 9.3 and having some problems with video card and monitor -- any ideas?"
    Date: Tue, 9 Aug 2005 17:43:14 -0400
    To: <suse-linux-e@suse.com>

    I'm new to this list, so forgive me if this has been
    discussed before...

    My shop uses SSH 3.2.9.1 from SSH.org as the dominant
    ssh client/server, and when I compile it on SuSE Pro 9.3
    with gcc (v. 3.3.5 20050117, the default), there are no
    errors, but when I try to ssh to another host (running
    ssh 3.2.9.1 server), I get this when trying to use
    hostbased authentication:

    warning: Received error 1, message: "Unable to load host keys.".

    Using an ssh 3.1.2 client compiled on RedHat works without
    error, and I get the same results whether I use the old
    key (this was previously running RedHat) or a newly generated
    one. All permissions are ok -- all keys and directories have
    the same ownerships and permissions as all our other
    installations. And I get the error when logging into both
    Linux and Solaris boxes.

    Any idea what could cause this error? And why would a compile
    with the exact same options I've used everywhere else give
    errors here and nowhere else?

  • Next message: Patrick Shanahan: "Re: [SLE] Knoppix test results: Was [SLE] Just installed 9.3 and having some problems with video card and monitor -- any ideas?"

    Relevant Pages

    • RE: [opensuse] A web front-end to SSH Server - possible ?
      ... A web front-end to SSH Server - possible? ... The whole idea of the ssh client/server ... For additional commands, e-mail: opensuse+help@xxxxxxxxxxxx ...
      (SuSE)
    • Re: ssh with tcp_wrappers!! contd/-
      ... Thanks a lot for such a huge response, of course typing mistake, i was using DenyHost not DenyGhost; as suggested by david and others i did this, ... Login, as root, to my Linux system containing the sshd server. ... i am not willing to compile openssh package is there any way out via rpm installation. ... Then try to ssh to localhost. ...
      (RedHat)
    • file permission problem on Cygwin
      ... I could login to my remote machine without ... ssh now complains that I have "too open" file ... Permissions 0644 for '/my/home/.ssh/id_rsa' are too open. ... This private key will be ignored. ...
      (SSH)
    • Re: ssh with tcp_wrappers!! contd/-
      ... and i was not willing to compile ssh with tcp_wrapper... ... Now how do i go about that, its a running server. ... On Fri, 23 Feb 2007, debu wrote: ...
      (RedHat)
    • Re: setting up keys
      ... The error message before the password prompt ('Warning: ... permissions issue. ... If you can see the file but ssh still doesn't seem to see it, ...
      (comp.security.ssh)