[SLE] Compiling SSH from ssh.org on Pro 9.3

From: Napp, Julie A. (Julie.Napp_at_jhuapl.edu)
Date: 08/09/05

  • Next message: Patrick Shanahan: "Re: [SLE] Knoppix test results: Was [SLE] Just installed 9.3 and having some problems with video card and monitor -- any ideas?"
    Date: Tue, 9 Aug 2005 17:43:14 -0400
    To: <suse-linux-e@suse.com>

    I'm new to this list, so forgive me if this has been
    discussed before...

    My shop uses SSH 3.2.9.1 from SSH.org as the dominant
    ssh client/server, and when I compile it on SuSE Pro 9.3
    with gcc (v. 3.3.5 20050117, the default), there are no
    errors, but when I try to ssh to another host (running
    ssh 3.2.9.1 server), I get this when trying to use
    hostbased authentication:

    warning: Received error 1, message: "Unable to load host keys.".

    Using an ssh 3.1.2 client compiled on RedHat works without
    error, and I get the same results whether I use the old
    key (this was previously running RedHat) or a newly generated
    one. All permissions are ok -- all keys and directories have
    the same ownerships and permissions as all our other
    installations. And I get the error when logging into both
    Linux and Solaris boxes.

    Any idea what could cause this error? And why would a compile
    with the exact same options I've used everywhere else give
    errors here and nowhere else?