[SLE] How to use Logical Volume Management

From: James Knott (james.knott_at_rogers.com)
Date: 08/12/05

    Date: Fri, 12 Aug 2005 15:12:38 -0400
    To: suse-linux-e@suse.com

    I've just installed SuSE 10.0 beta, using LVM for most of the
    partitions. I was of the understanding that LVM allowed for the
    resizing of partitions, without shutting down the computer etc.
    However, when I try using LVM in Yast, I get an error message, that
    changing the partition size may result in loss of data. When I tell it
    to proceed, no change is made. I get similar results in Partitioner.
    There is some free space in the volume. What am I doing wrong? Have I
    misunderstood LVM?

    tnx jk