[SLE] How to use Logical Volume Management

From: James Knott (james.knott_at_rogers.com)
Date: 08/12/05

    Date: Fri, 12 Aug 2005 15:12:38 -0400
    To: suse-linux-e@suse.com

    I've just installed SuSE 10.0 beta, using LVM for most of the
    partitions. I was of the understanding that LVM allowed for the
    resizing of partitions, without shutting down the computer etc.
    However, when I try using LVM in Yast, I get an error message, that
    changing the partition size may result in loss of data. When I tell it
    to proceed, no change is made. I get similar results in Partitioner.
    There is some free space in the volume. What am I doing wrong? Have I
    misunderstood LVM?

    tnx jk

    • Re: Booting degraded software raid1 with failed /dev/sda
      ... On the hard drives I have two software RAID1 partitions, ... The bigger md1 uses LVM and has separate volumes for swap, ... To get a root ...
      (Debian-User)
    • Re: Recovering a folder on an LVM ext3 partition
      ... it won't mount saying it ... and I've just been seeing the LVM option during the Fedora ... flexibility in resizing partitions if I needed. ... could try ext3 data recovery programs. ...
      (comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.storage)
    • Re: Booting - Enterprise Volume Management System
      ... Since the main LVM advantage is meant to be easy resizing, ... you could just as well use that space to copy or resize basic partitions. ... So you know better than the HOWTO that no recent kernels are affected. ... I don't claim you never have to unmount, but with LVM you have to unmount with ...
      (Ubuntu)
    • Re: Booting - Enterprise Volume Management System
      ... bother with LVM on a single disk if you can just make one big partition? ... Perhas you know better than the HOWTO: ... Mostly, filesystems will grow. ... You can grow and move partitions with parted anyway, so LVM has no advantage if ...
      (Ubuntu)
    • Re: I need updating about these aspects...
      ... today I thought I had better take a fresh backup of all my partitions. ... I had to use Partition Magic to delete all the partitions before LVM ... and make multiple backups to include ... * the 120 GB backup hard disk is currently attached via an USB port. ...
      (comp.os.os2.misc)