Re: [SLE] Display problems in new 9.3

From: Arun K. Khan (knura_at_yahoo.com)
Date: 08/23/05

    To: suse-linux-e@suse.com
    Date: Tue, 23 Aug 2005 21:57:24 +0530

    On Mon, 2005-08-22 at 09:14 -0700, Richard wrote:
    > less. Display repeatedly goes out (window completely obscured with random
    > colors, can mouse an icon over it sometimes and get some proper display in
    > the wake of the movement, but quickly degrades again) after a few to several
    > minutes. I tried using YAST/YOU to update nvidia driver, same results, also
    > ran nvidia driver by hand (needs IA32 driver), same results. Any other
    > suggestions? I have tried running both at max resolution and a lower one
    > with same results. Richard

    No suggestions since you have already tried the nvidia driver.

    What is the chipset of your video card? I am experiencing a somewhat
    similar problem with a GeForce FX5600 card. It has DVI and CRT out.
    The Xorg nv driver displays fine on the DVI o/p (1280x1024) but the CRT
    o/p looks mangled and the res. looks like 640x480. Did not have this
    problem in 9.2 (XFree86) but manifested in 9.3 (Xorg) (also in 10.0
    Beta1).

    I downloaded the nvidia driver with YOU - it corrected the display
    problem on the CRT port.

    -- Arun Khan (knura at yahoo dot com)
    A person is just about as big as the things that make them angry.

    • Re: Will F1 be on BBC HD?
      ... video monitors used in video editing. ... display, so you have to scale the incoming video to fit the display ... On a CRT this will look fine. ... immediately have to stretch or squish the picture. ...
      (rec.autos.sport.f1)
    • Re: ati2 events
      ... Event Category: CRT ... to what is invalid about my CRT display type. ... card the Windows system log will show the error CRT invalid display ... install Catalyst 7.6". ...
      (microsoft.public.windowsxp.basics)
    • Re: xorg and thinkpad x40
      ... to mirror the laptop's lcd into a CRT? ... Easiest way is usually to activate the console display on both and start the X server. ... NumberOfPlanes: 1 ... LinGreenMaskSize: 0 ...
      (Ubuntu)
    • Re: Will F1 be on BBC HD?
      ... video monitors used in video editing. ... CRTs use screen-height vertical stripes of RGB material rather than ... display, so you have to scale the incoming video to fit the display ... On a CRT you also have to stretch or squish the picture. ...
      (rec.autos.sport.f1)
    • Re: NVidia on Compaq presario and video output
      ... internal flat panel and an external CRT, the CRT is the primary display ... on the VGA plug of my laptop, the display is on this external display ... you're confusing hardware behavior & driver behavior. ...
      (Fedora)