Re: [SLE] I think I want a mail server - is it Postfix? or some other?

From: Bruce Marshall (bmarsh_at_bmarsh.com)
Date: 08/26/05

    To: SLE <suse-linux-e@suse.com>
    Date: Fri, 26 Aug 2005 17:19:41 -0400

    On Friday 26 August 2005 04:55 pm, mlist@safenet-inc.com wrote:
    > Hello list!
    > Here's the "short" version. Additional details on request.
    >
    > WHAT I HAVE NOW
    > My PC (SuSE 9.3 only)
    > Wife's PC (SuSE 9.2)
    > Two e-mail accounts via our ISP's POP server (ADSL connection via 4-port
    > domestic router). So, we automatically empty the ISP mailbox every few
    > minutes and do our own archiving, etc., locally on our respective PCs.
    >
    > WHAT I WANT TO DO
    > Want to bring mail handling in-house and centralize the archiving.

    What you haven't mentioned is:

    1) Do you have your own domain name?
    2) Are you considering NOT using your ISP for mail at all? (i.e. you are
    going to be the server for your own domain email (mx entry for DNS)
    3) Are you good at firewalls?
    4) Prepared to keep out people (spammers) that want to use you as a relay?

    It just not crystal clear what you want to do.

    I have a setup similar to what I *think* you want:

    fetchmail --> procmail --> dspam --> deliver to local mailboxes

    but still using the ISP to be the mx server. Saves a lot of hassle.

    • Re: Serveral Questions
      ... How is email forwarded and sent from the ISP? ... An archiving solution would be your best bet to solve this ... Why not let Exchange handle all mail, get rid of your ISP, your setup just ... Clients - Outlook 2003 ...
      (microsoft.public.exchange.admin)
    • Re: Cam Setup
      ... I have to enable uPnP in my router and use a web server provided by Panasonic to provide a fixed IP address so I can access the cam from anywhere. ... Your ISP has a Terms of Service. ... Operating a "server" on your home LAN, port forwarding ...
      (microsoft.public.windowsxp.hardware)
    • Re: Filename that has the Vegas pro settings
      ... It downloads virus definitions from their server, ... I'll try and find a way to get my internet connection ... And the NAT provided by the router, ... are the ones provided for free by your ISP. ...
      (rec.video.desktop)
    • Re: How do I get default service change to stay
      ... PITA - this is anti server behaviour by your ISP. ... If their ISP did not have these security> requirements, I would be using the POP connector to retrieve email and the ... > My only problem has been that if the ISP service in the Outlook profile is> not the default account, outbound Internet email is sent to the Exchange> server, not to the ISP mail server. ...
      (microsoft.public.windows.server.sbs)
    • RE: Exchange Issues
      ... The problem occuring was that SPA had been ticked in the POP3 connector ... > Email and Internet Connection Wizard) first. ... > email settings of the server. ... If you need to forward internet email to your ISP ...
      (microsoft.public.windows.server.sbs)