Re: [SLE] I think I want a mail server - is it Postfix? or some other?

From: Bruce Marshall (bmarsh_at_bmarsh.com)
Date: 08/26/05

    To: SLE <suse-linux-e@suse.com>
    Date: Fri, 26 Aug 2005 17:19:41 -0400

    On Friday 26 August 2005 04:55 pm, mlist@safenet-inc.com wrote:
    > Hello list!
    > Here's the "short" version. Additional details on request.
    >
    > WHAT I HAVE NOW
    > My PC (SuSE 9.3 only)
    > Wife's PC (SuSE 9.2)
    > Two e-mail accounts via our ISP's POP server (ADSL connection via 4-port
    > domestic router). So, we automatically empty the ISP mailbox every few
    > minutes and do our own archiving, etc., locally on our respective PCs.
    >
    > WHAT I WANT TO DO
    > Want to bring mail handling in-house and centralize the archiving.

    What you haven't mentioned is:

    1) Do you have your own domain name?
    2) Are you considering NOT using your ISP for mail at all? (i.e. you are
    going to be the server for your own domain email (mx entry for DNS)
    3) Are you good at firewalls?
    4) Prepared to keep out people (spammers) that want to use you as a relay?

    It just not crystal clear what you want to do.

    I have a setup similar to what I *think* you want:

    fetchmail --> procmail --> dspam --> deliver to local mailboxes

    but still using the ISP to be the mx server. Saves a lot of hassle.