RE: [SLE] SuSE 10 imapd.conf

mlist_at_safenet-inc.com
Date: 10/07/05

    To: mcrean@snowpetrel.net, suse-linux-e@suse.com
    Date: Fri, 7 Oct 2005 11:35:59 -0400

    Mark Crean [mailto:mcrean@snowpetrel.net] steered me right with:

    > > [snip]
    > > Anyway, to my little problem...
    > >
    > > When I logged in as my normal user, as soon as KDE came up,
    > I got an
    > > error message:
    > >
    > > "Error - Konqueror
    > > The file:///etc/imapd.conf could not be loaded, as it was
    > > not possible to read from it.
    > >
    > > Check if you have access to this file."
    > >
    > > The file does not exist at the moment. [snip]

    > To begin with, check to ensure that you have an imap server installed
    > (for which /etc/imapd.conf would be the config file) and if
    > so check the
    > readme's for it. If you don't have one installed, then install one
    > (there are probably several different ones to choose from). Is it
    > configured to start up in the run levels editor and in YaST,
    > etc? These
    > are just preliminary checks as I don't yet have SuSE 10
    > installed - I am
    > still downloading the Open version.

    I'll start on that as soon as I get home (unless the wife
    has other plans for me, or I can persuade her to go see
    the new Wallace & Grommit movie...)

    I have a few more questions, if somebody is willing:

    First, why would the system be looking for IMAP config file?
    This was an Install, rather than an upgrade - I kept only
    my /home partition. All other partitions were formatted
    before the 10.0 stuff went in -- so my thought is that
    there'd be no leftovers from 9.3 trying to start IMAP,
    would there?

    Yes, I did want IMAP (and made the firewall settings to
    accomodate it during the install process), but I have not
    been using it previously. My mail handling has been
    KMail dealing directly with my ISP's POP3 and SMTP servers.

    Unless somebody warns me off of it, I would like to try
    using YaST to make my machine into a receive-side server,
    as follows:

    1) stop using KMail on that computer

    2) have fetchmail fetch the mail from the ISP's POP server

    3) fetchmail hands off to IMAP, which then serves to any
      requesters on my house LAN

    4) I use my laptop to read my mail from that IMAP server

    5) When I send mail from the laptop, it goes directly to
      the ISP's SMTP server, not through my (soon-to-be) new
      local mail server.

    I did try this with SuSE 9.3, and was not successful. I
    started off with YaST, and then tried getting things to
    actually work by direct editing of main.cf, master.cf
    and other files. Possibly the difficulty arose because I
    didn't know what I was supposed to want to do when I
    started, and might have introduced some unnecessary
    variables that I never cleaned up when people on this
    list guided me to a more sensible, streamlined solution
    than I originally envisaged. Anyway, with business travel
    and other impediments, and with 10.0 nearly released, I
    decided just to wait for 10.0 and start fresh.

    So, here I am, all fresh-faced and eager, with a new,
    full SuSE 10.0 install (including one YOU session last
    night).

    What I want to know now is:

    a) Is my description above (5 steps) a good one for a
    house with three PCs, two regular users, and only
    occasional visitors? All I really want is a simple,
    rugged, local mail server so that I can read and write
    my mail on any of several PCs and not have that mail
    sequestered on any one client PC.

    b) Does YaST allow me to configure the full server-side
    solution if I'm keeping it as simple as described above,
    or will I still need to be digging around in conf files?

    Thanks,

    Kevin (hoping to get it right and not break anything this time)