Re: [SLE] SUSE 9.3 to 10.0 GR upgrade - flawless!

From: Kevanf1 (kevanf1_at_gmail.com)
Date: 10/08/05

    Date: Sat, 8 Oct 2005 11:05:54 +0100
    To: "suse-linux-e@suse.com" <suse-linux-e@suse.com>

    On 08/10/05, Kevin Donnelly <kevin@dotmon.com> wrote:

    > Instead of complaining about Novell, complain to your congressman or other
    > elected representative, if they're not already in the pockets of some large
    > corporation or other. (Indeed, if more US citizens had done this before the
    > DMCA became law, its pernicious influence would not have spread any farther.)
    > If Novell gets sued as a "test case", and that brings down the rest of the
    > distro, it is hardly a price worth paying. Use oggs instead (and again, if
    > more consumers refused to buy iPod or "Plays for Sure" crap, the
    > manufacturers would start ensuring that the ogg format was better supported -
    > see http://www.eff.org/IP/DRM/guide). If mp3s are actually vital to your
    > existence, use Microsoft Windows, which has cartel agreements with other
    > corporations.
    >
    > --
    >
    > Pob hwyl / Best wishes
    >
    > Kevin Donnelly

    Wholeheartedly agreed :-) It follows the smae line as I have been
    spouting (sorry to go on but somebody has to) about hardware and
    manufacturers not writing drivers for Linux. It is not difficult to
    do. I have a friend who I encouraged to try SuSE 9.3. His didgital
    camera did not work under Linux. So, this guy, sat down and wrote a
    set of drivers for it. It took him about half an hour for goodness
    sake. So I will repeat myself here..

    IF THE HARDWARE YOU ARE CONSIDERING BUYING IS NOT COMPATIBLE WITH
    LINUX DON'T BUY IT AND LET THE MANUFACTURER KNOW ABOUT YOUR DECISION!

    My apologies for doing that in capitals. Anyway, I'm not alone in my
    thoughts as Klaus Knopper (Knoppix) is now saying pretty much the
    same. End of the day it is going to make life a lot easier for all of
    us if development time can be switched from writing drivers for
    hardware that manufacturers should be writing to speeding up
    applications like Open Office org.

    :-)