Re: [SLE] TVTIME 1.0.1

From: Randall R Schulz (rschulz_at_sonic.net)
Date: 10/16/05

    To: suse-linux-e@suse.com
    Date: Sun, 16 Oct 2005 06:33:39 -0700

    Ken, Basil,

    On Sunday 16 October 2005 04:37, Ken Schneider wrote:
    > On Sun, 2005-10-16 at 16:46 +1000, Basil Chupin wrote:
    > > Sid Boyce wrote:
    > > >
    > > > <STUFF DELETED>
    > >
    > > Thanks for this, Sid. I have now entered this into my Notebook of
    > > Wisdom and will try it/them out in the near future.
    > >
    > > I tried using vi not too long ago and couldn't exit the damn thing
    > > once I fired it up :-). I had to reboot to get out of it. So I
    > > decided to stick with pico which even I can work.

    That's far more drastic an action that is ever required in such a
    situation. There are myriad ways to deal with a hung application
    (equivalently, one you cannot figure out how to exit!).

    If you're running in a GUI environment, create a new terminal window (in
    the same way you created the one in which the program you cannot escape
    is running). Then use this command to find the process ID of the
    command:

    % pidof vi

    Assuming there's just one such process and hence no ambiguity about
    which to kill, next issue this command:

    % kill PID-of-Vi

    > When using vi the easiest way to exit is with two Z characters after
    > hitting the esc key or you can hit esc and then :q! to quit.
    > It's easy when you know how, not so easy when you don't.

    Those two ways out are not equivalent. ZZ is identical to :x which is
    identical to :wq (all of which will write a modified buffer without
    asking before quitting). On the other hand, :q! quits without saving a
    modified buffer and without asking if you want to do that. The
    simple :q command will quit only if the buffer is not modified. If it
    is modified, it will complain that there are unsaved changes. No matter
    how many times you repeat it, :q will not quit with unsaved changes
    extant.

    The various quit / exit commands will also remind you if you try to quit
    without having visited the entire list of files given on the command
    line, but that warning is not repeated on subsequent attempts to quit
    (unless another command intervenes).

    Vi is great, eh?

    > --
    > Ken Schneider