Re: [SLE] SuSE nmbd woes - browser wars, loosing election - may be OT or wrong list

From: Steve Graegert (graegerts_at_gmail.com)
Date: 10/18/05

    Date: Tue, 18 Oct 2005 11:55:27 +0200
    To: suse-linux-e@suse.com

    On 10/18/05, Peter Sutter <sutterp@sopac.com.au> wrote:
    > I have 11 Windows XP Pro workstations and 2 Windows XP Pro laptops in my
    > network, tux is the samba server, dns server and mail server. Samba is
    > configured as PDC with:

    [snip]

    > Here is an extract of the log.nmb
    > [2005/10/18 16:14:13, 0] nmbd/nmbd_become_lmb.c:become_local_master_stage2
    > (396)
    > Samba name server TUX is now a local master browser for workgroup JJH on
    > subnet 192.168.1.10
    > [2005/10/18 16:25:44, 0]
    > nmbd/nmbd_incomingdgrams.c:process_local_master_announce(311)
    > process_local_master_announce: Server LAPTOPD at IP 192.168.1.49 is
    > announcing itself as a local master browser for workgroup JJH and we think we
    > are master. Forcing election.
    > [2005/10/18 16:25:44, 0]
    > nmbd/nmbd_become_lmb.c:unbecome_local_master_success(149)
    > Samba name server TUX has stopped being a local master browser for workgroup
    > JJH on subnet 192.168.1.10

    You can try to edit the following key in the Windows XP registry of the laptop:

    [HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Services\Netlogon\Parameters]
    "requiresignorseal"=dword:00000000
    "signsecurechannel"=dword:00000000

    The laptop should then accept samba as the local PDC. Hope this helps.

            \Steve

    • Re: Help Configuring Samba
      ... >> Samba name server XP1800 is now a local master browser for workgroup ...
      (Fedora)
    • Re: Does samba 3.0.14Aa on OS 5.0.6 work with ldapsam backend on another LDAP server?
      ... used 3.0.9 on SCO 5.0.6 for quite some time after suffering problems I ... a RedHat4 box running samba 3.0.10 and OpenLDAP 2.2.13. ... and no LDAP server (although there were the ... share on the SCO server without any smbpasswd on that server! ...
      (comp.unix.sco.misc)
    • [HPADM] RE: Mapping Samba Share to XP
      ... "The mapped network drive could not be created because the following error occurred: The remote computer is not available." ... Is there anything I need to change in the configuration on the CIFS server? ... I am unable to map to the Windows XP clients on the 158 subnet still, but this is due to the firewall, so if someone knows how I can make that happen, please let me know? ... Mapping Samba Share to XP ...
      (HP-UX-Admin)
    • Re: login fails from from Solaris to windows7
      ... I can see all three Windows boxes from Solaris, but I can not login to ... Samba has a huge number of configurable options (perhaps too ... server string = Samba Server ... # per user logon script ...
      (comp.unix.solaris)
    • Samba frustrations
      ... As a matter of fact, when I attach another kubuntu machine to the network, smbclient doesn't see the server either. ... # WINS Support - Tells the NMBD component of Samba to enable its WINS Server ... # Another common choice is storing the profile in the user's home directory ... # It specifies the script to run during logon. ...
      (Ubuntu)