Re: [SLE] SuSE nmbd woes - browser wars, loosing election - may be OT or wrong list

From: Steve Graegert (
Date: 10/18/05

    Date: Tue, 18 Oct 2005 11:55:27 +0200

    On 10/18/05, Peter Sutter <> wrote:
    > I have 11 Windows XP Pro workstations and 2 Windows XP Pro laptops in my
    > network, tux is the samba server, dns server and mail server. Samba is
    > configured as PDC with:

    > Here is an extract of the log.nmb
    > [2005/10/18 16:14:13, 0] nmbd/nmbd_become_lmb.c:become_local_master_stage2
    > (396)
    > Samba name server TUX is now a local master browser for workgroup JJH on
    > subnet
    > [2005/10/18 16:25:44, 0]
    > nmbd/nmbd_incomingdgrams.c:process_local_master_announce(311)
    > process_local_master_announce: Server LAPTOPD at IP is
    > announcing itself as a local master browser for workgroup JJH and we think we
    > are master. Forcing election.
    > [2005/10/18 16:25:44, 0]
    > nmbd/nmbd_become_lmb.c:unbecome_local_master_success(149)
    > Samba name server TUX has stopped being a local master browser for workgroup
    > JJH on subnet

    You can try to edit the following key in the Windows XP registry of the laptop:

    The laptop should then accept samba as the local PDC. Hope this helps.

    For additional commands send e-mail to
    Also check the archives at
    Please read the FAQs:

    • Re: Help Configuring Samba
      ... >> Samba name server XP1800 is now a local master browser for workgroup ...
    • Re: Does samba 3.0.14Aa on OS 5.0.6 work with ldapsam backend on another LDAP server?
      ... used 3.0.9 on SCO 5.0.6 for quite some time after suffering problems I ... a RedHat4 box running samba 3.0.10 and OpenLDAP 2.2.13. ... and no LDAP server (although there were the ... share on the SCO server without any smbpasswd on that server! ...
    • [HPADM] RE: Mapping Samba Share to XP
      ... "The mapped network drive could not be created because the following error occurred: The remote computer is not available." ... Is there anything I need to change in the configuration on the CIFS server? ... I am unable to map to the Windows XP clients on the 158 subnet still, but this is due to the firewall, so if someone knows how I can make that happen, please let me know? ... Mapping Samba Share to XP ...
    • Re: login fails from from Solaris to windows7
      ... I can see all three Windows boxes from Solaris, but I can not login to ... Samba has a huge number of configurable options (perhaps too ... server string = Samba Server ... # per user logon script ...
    • Samba frustrations
      ... As a matter of fact, when I attach another kubuntu machine to the network, smbclient doesn't see the server either. ... # WINS Support - Tells the NMBD component of Samba to enable its WINS Server ... # Another common choice is storing the profile in the user's home directory ... # It specifies the script to run during logon. ...