Re: [SLE] SuSE nmbd woes - browser wars, loosing election - may be OT or wrong list

From: Steve Graegert (graegerts_at_gmail.com)
Date: 10/18/05

    Date: Tue, 18 Oct 2005 11:55:27 +0200
    To: suse-linux-e@suse.com

    On 10/18/05, Peter Sutter <sutterp@sopac.com.au> wrote:
    > I have 11 Windows XP Pro workstations and 2 Windows XP Pro laptops in my
    > network, tux is the samba server, dns server and mail server. Samba is
    > configured as PDC with:

    [snip]

    > Here is an extract of the log.nmb
    > [2005/10/18 16:14:13, 0] nmbd/nmbd_become_lmb.c:become_local_master_stage2
    > (396)
    > Samba name server TUX is now a local master browser for workgroup JJH on
    > subnet 192.168.1.10
    > [2005/10/18 16:25:44, 0]
    > nmbd/nmbd_incomingdgrams.c:process_local_master_announce(311)
    > process_local_master_announce: Server LAPTOPD at IP 192.168.1.49 is
    > announcing itself as a local master browser for workgroup JJH and we think we
    > are master. Forcing election.
    > [2005/10/18 16:25:44, 0]
    > nmbd/nmbd_become_lmb.c:unbecome_local_master_success(149)
    > Samba name server TUX has stopped being a local master browser for workgroup
    > JJH on subnet 192.168.1.10

    You can try to edit the following key in the Windows XP registry of the laptop:

    [HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Services\Netlogon\Parameters]
    "requiresignorseal"=dword:00000000
    "signsecurechannel"=dword:00000000

    The laptop should then accept samba as the local PDC. Hope this helps.

            \Steve