Re: [SLE] early vi -- ed -- edlin

From: James Knott (james.knott_at_rogers.com)
Date: 11/11/05

    Date: Fri, 11 Nov 2005 14:04:51 -0500
    To: suse-linux-e@suse.com

    Allen wrote:

    >> The line editor (Ed?) included with Pr1me computers was worse than
    >> Edlin. I have never seen an editor as bad as that one.
    >
    > You've never used WordPad or Word have you?

    Yes, I've used both and they're fantastic, compared with that Pr1me
    editor. It was a line editor and IIRC, you could only use relative line
    number, not aboslute, other that the 1st and last lines. So, if you
    were working on line 29 and you wanted to work on line 12, you'd have to
    jump -17 lines. You couldn't just jump to line 12. There were many
    other oddities, which I have (thankfully) long since forgotten.

    • Re: SOURCE-ID
      ... Or setting 0 in it and jump in the middle of the terminal ... You couldn't change SOURCE-ID directly if you wanted to, ... optionally go back to execute a section you'd passed over previously ... jumps into the editor when you INCLUDE the file. ...
      (comp.lang.forth)
    • Re: How to set cursor in editor to pattern given on command line?
      ... |>>I want offer to users edit some ... |>>configuration files, and this should be done with some simple editor ... |>>(joe's command line option for jump to given line number (+nnn) isn't ... |>generally to provide a command rather have the users open an editor, ...
      (Fedora)
    • Re: file locks and a counter
      ... How about an editor that let you jump to line 230? ... line with the error via the captured messages? ... Perl help in exchange for a gift: ...
      (comp.lang.perl.misc)
    • RE: One thing I miss: double right click
      ... it opens it within the editor. ... you might learn to use Bookmarks to be ... able to jump to random preselected points. ...
      (microsoft.public.excel.programming)
    • Re: Switch between view splits
      ... When you split the editor view in Visual C++ 6, how do you jump from the ... top split to the bottom split using keyboard only? ...
      (microsoft.public.vstudio.general)