Re: [SLE] Picking a partition for windows in Vmware

On 01/02/06, Clayton <smaug42@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> Michael Behrens wrote:
> > Susemail wrote:
> >> How/when do I tell Vmware to install Windows on the nice new fat32
> >> partition I made for it?
> >
> > When you create a new VM, add "physical partition" as harddisk instead
> > of "virtual disk file". Maybe this works only on some of the VMware
> > products. There are ESX. GSX and workstation...
> >

> I stand corrected :-)
>
> When you do that you get loads of warnings about this being an advanced
> user option, and that you can seriously break things - make system
> non-bootable etc.
>
> The instructions on how to do it are here:
> http://www.vmware.com/support/ws4/doc/disks_instraw_ws.html
>
> Question to the original poster... why are you asking this question on a
> SUSE mailing list?  Wouldn't this be better asked on VMWare support??
> This isn't a SUSE problem is it?

Would the original poster please like to get in touch with me off
list?  I can give you a link to some fresh work being done with both
VMWare and Quemu by some guys in my local LUG.  They have got both up
and running very succesfully and are willing to offer any advice that
may be needed.  Just mail me at:

kevanf1@xxxxxxxxx

I am only human, please forgive me if I make a mistake it is not deliberate..
Xmas may be over but,  PLEASE DON'T drink and drive you'll make it to
the next one that way.
Kevan Farmer

Linux user #373362

Cheslyn Hay
Staffordshire
WS6 7HR

  • Re: Ditching FC3... for now =(
    ... > before I can install on my physical drive. ... current is not setup for dual boot. ... without bothering the WinXP partition. ... If you just really want to try out Linux with the VMWare, ...
    (Fedora)
  • Re: Installation - Partitionsreihenfolge
    ... kannst die mit einem Rutsch auf ein anderes Laufwerk ... Windows nicht einfach in eine VMware packe und gar nicht richtig auf die ... Für die vmware nimm besser Win2K. ... Partition scan in progress to remove offending ...
    (de.comp.os.unix.linux.misc)
  • Re: Finally getting rid of Windows (almost)
    ... I'm now running fc5 and using vmware player to run Windows XP. ... So can I just blow away the hda1 partition, ... into its own partition (here, I expect, hda2) is that some BIOSs have ...
    (Fedora)
  • Re: Help! Some CD Error 7B!
    ... First simplify your case by using first partition of HDD during the FBA. ... > I am using VMWare to emulate the C:\, so that whatever which is placed ... I also tried to run FBA, shutdown, then make ISO, did not make ...
    (microsoft.public.windowsxp.embedded)
  • Re: Multi boot with Fedora, XP, and second Linux distro
    ... >> think that it is on primary partition by swapping the boot partition with ... > Hi Andy, ... > title Windows XP ... VMware beats the heck out of dual-boot IMHO, as long as what you need ...
    (Fedora)