Re[2]: [SLE] Mainboard selection

<<< 2.2.2006 20:43 - BandiPat "penguin0601@xxxxxxxxxxxxx" >>>
B> On Thursday 02 February 2006 06:27, Roland Turcan wrote:
Hello suse-linux-e!

I am thinking about buy this mainboard and CPU:

AMD Athlon XP 3000+ 64bit. soc.939
MB Microstar K8N nWidia nForce NF3

I am not sure if still SuSE 9.2 is not able to support south brigde
of this board. I was trying to build similar computer in October 2005
and I had to change to board who support AMD processor with socket
754, because network adapter didn't work and as I remember that USB
had problems too.

Maybe you take me question, that why I don't want SuSE 10.0, but the
reason is, that I have got very bad experiences with running Kylix 3
Pro on Linux kernel 2.6.11=>. On 9.2 it works.

I woun't buy it if it won't work corretly for me.

--
Best regards, TRoland
http://www.rotursoft.sk
B> ============
B> Roland
B> I'm thinking you should look at a motherboard with the nForce 4 chipset
B> rather than the 3. Seems to me there were several problems regarding
B> the 3, which wasn't around long before nVidia came out with the 4,
B> which is much better. Better supported, more reliable. Anyway, why
B> settle for outdated when you can get the newer? Someone must be
B> closing out some old hardware.

OK, thank you for your reply, but I am still not sure, that SuSE 9.2
will work correctly. I really like SuSE 10.0, that is very nice work,
but I cannot get any support for "unsupported linux distributions"
from Borland and need to know that SuSE 9.2 will work, because Kylix
doesn't work on newer kernels. As I said (wrote).

I have installed on my actual PC SuSE 9.2 for developing, SuSE 10.0,
Mandriva 2006, Ubuntu 5.1, Knoppix 4 for testing.

--
Best regards, TRoland
http://www.rotursoft.sk

  • Re: [SLE] SuSE 9.2 politics and installation questions
    ... > been implemented on SuSE distribution after the merge with Novell. ... personal support, then your best choice may be SLES 9, but if you don't ... some packages missing from the CDs. ... has a DVD drive to the server to do a network install to your desires. ...
    (SuSE)
  • Re: [SLE] SuSE Linux Professional 9.1 Driver?
    ... | This gentleman was not willing to give us support for installing Suse ... I found that support for these cards had ... support for an enterprise-class 32-bit RAID controller, and SuSE, ...
    (SuSE)
  • Re: [SLE] Mainboard selection
    ... AMD Athlon XP 3000+ 64bit. ... MB Microstar K8N nWidia nForce NF3 ... I am not sure if still SuSE 9.2 is not able to support south brigde ... Maybe you take me question, that why I don't want SuSE 10.0, but the ...
    (SuSE)
  • Re: Why are printers such a hassle?
    ... > and I looked them all up in the SuSE hardware database and NONE of them ... Yeah, linux loves quality hardware, the more expensive it is, ... > separate ink cartridges so I can return the printer with the original ... support serious. ...
    (comp.os.linux.misc)
  • =?ISO-8859-1?Q?Re:_Linux_Experiences=3F?=
    ... This is true with SUSE as well as Red Hat. ... can buy your support from Novell, or anyone else you feel comfortable with. ... IBM will staff the problem into the Open-Source ...
    (bit.listserv.ibm-main)