Re: [SLE] Gateway M520 laptop

On Sunday 12 February 2006 17:01, BandiPat wrote:
Yes, I've already been there!  I've googled my heart out about it, but
have yet to find anything worthwhile for this laptop.  As I mentioned,
I think Linux has the sound working, but not being able to activate the
speakers via hardware, makes it near impossible.  As I mentioned, I
might try using wine for the windows drivers just to test, unless
another user here with that same model has news about how to get it
going under Linux.

Again, further search with google finds people running that sound chipset with
no problem.

Have you run alsaconf? Checked all of the sound mixers for something muted?

(you're going to slap your forehead when you find the problem... I guarantee..
<g>)

  • Re: WARNING to potential LINUX users
    ... And I did not ask specificly for linux supported hardware, ... IDE CD-ROMS or DVD drives all ... > the sound events were turned on and the mixer showed volume was maximum ...
    (alt.os.linux.suse)
  • Re: WARNING to potential LINUX users
    ... > audio which is not supported by linux. ... >> The very first thing I noticed was that there was NO SOUND even though ... >>started over with SuSE. ... So much for installing right out of the box on ...
    (alt.os.linux.suse)
  • [OT]: Substitute VMS for Linux in this article
    ... Linux problems, including claims that sound isn't that important in business ... Rick Spencer on the general issue of Linux hardware support: ... As an analogy, say you worked for Coca-Cola since Windows 95 came out, say ...
    (comp.os.vms)
  • Re: Well, Windows is back on the disk.
    ... >>>There's just some programs not working with sound at all. ... But that puts me even further and further away from Ubuntu, ... >>>And yet, using Windows XP the past three years on this laptop, ... >>i still don't get the point in trying ubuntu (linux), ...
    (Ubuntu)
  • Re: Linux and Multimedia-->The Potential is there<<-- But...........
    ... You wouldn't know good audio if it hit you on top ... > Like your Sound blaster 24 bit for example? ... >>Linux, to my ear, has the most powerful, crispest and clearest sound. ... > I'm sure the Mac crowd will love this one. ...
    (alt.os.linux)