Re: [SLE] No Suse after XP install (was: Hard drive not found?)

This is not a change of the original thread for Hard Drive Not Found....

Please create your own thread, that way I will stand a better chance of getting my issue sorted.

Thank you.

Alan

Daniel Bauer wrote:
kushal hada wrote:
Hi, I have a Wn XP on my computer. Sometimes ago I decided to fo for a
dual-boot of SuSE 8.2 with Win XP but my Win was on D: and It would not start for some (common?) dll problem. hal.dll

Win is very bitchy , egoistic and intolerant. It always prefers to have the first places. So install in on your first drive (C under Win).

then SuSE was fine until I had to check my mail. I have a dial-up modem
which linuz did not find. so I again put XP but now on C:

Winmodems are problematic. Sometimes you need a special kernel, and then you don't have a "standard-Linux" anymore. Why not buy a external standard modem, the run easy. If you need to have your internal Winmodem, search google and try what you find.

Now SuSE is not in bootloader
can yo please tell me how I can use internet in Linux with dial-up? any
progress on the WinModem front?
thanks

If you install Win it always takes the boot sector MBR for itself as if only Win would exist. So first install Win, then install the real operating system. Or reinstall the boot sector (again: search google for how to's)

Daniel

  • Re: [Thread Hijack] Re: How do I upgrade Ubuntu OS from the CD.
    ... the list and your subject has nothing to do with the original thread. ... Gosh, I remember the days that I spent as a list-cop for RH and ... OnDisk.com) so that the install is much more complete, ... just in case I push some button that I shouldn't ...
    (Ubuntu)
  • Re: Downloaded windows Updates fail to install
    ... Repeat: Always reply to your original thread, ... SourdoughPlus wrote: ... failed to install. ... My OS is XP Home SP2. ...
    (microsoft.public.windowsupdate)
  • Re: [SLE] newbie question: modems
    ... > I have installed suse linux perfectly, except it will not cooperate with the ... > winmodem on my machine. ... > cheap eMachines PC either in a PCI slot or external? ... I had to find the RPM and install that. ...
    (SuSE)
  • Re: If a computer is sold with preinstalled SUSE, shouldnt it work with Debian?
    ... > it does have a winmodem that works with one linux system, ... They may have installed the special driver required for that particular ... The simplest solution might be to install Debian but retain the Suse ...
    (Debian-User)
  • Re: getting alot closer.
    ... >> Get first few Debian disks, boot your computer, connect to the web and ... >> the install will just download the things you need. ... original thread got lost on my server;) ...
    (alt.os.linux)