[SLE] Automount problems

Hello SuSE people,

Running 10.0, KDE 3.5.1 on an AMD 64 bit system. I have a dvdrecorder which
is /dev/hdc, and a cdrecorder which is /dev/hdd. Each of them will play with
an audio CD.

Ever since I did a new install of 10.0 (from 9.2) a few months ago I've had a
problem with automounting data cd's dvd's. I've been able to work around it
but is beginning to get annoying. Here is what happens:

I put in a data disk and wait for it to mount in media:/ I get this message:

Could not mount device.
The reported error was:
mount: according to mtab, /dev/hdc is already mounted on /media/dvdrecorder
mount failed

But,it did mount evidently and then shows up in media:/ I can then see it and
use it for my purpose.

Info: When I look at "My Computer" which is media:/ It shows all of my mounted
hard drives and the unmounted floppy drive, but not the cdrecorder nor the
dvdrecorder. (Used to see it in 9.2) (both devices are owned by me and the
group is disk)

I then try to umount it and get this message:

umount: only root can unmount /dev/dvdrecorder from /media/dvdrecorder
Please check that the disk is entered correctly.

I have to "push the button" on the drive to eject the cd.

Here is my mtab: (There is nothing in it about the cdrecorder or dvdrecorder
that I can see) (The dev mapper entries are because those partitions are
mounted as LVM's on my second hard drive hdb)

/dev/hdb1 / ext3 rw,acl,user_xattr 0 0
proc /proc proc rw 0 0
sysfs /sys sysfs rw 0 0
tmpfs /dev/shm tmpfs rw 0 0
devpts /dev/pts devpts rw,mode=0620,gid=5 0 0
/dev/hda2 /workspace ext3 rw,acl,user_xattr 0 0
/dev/hda3 /datastorage ext3 rw,acl,user_xattr 0 0
/dev/hda5 /backup ext3 rw,acl,user_xattr 0 0
/dev/mapper/system-data /data ext3 rw,acl,user_xattr 0 0
/dev/mapper/system-home /home ext3 rw,acl,user_xattr 0 0
/dev/mapper/system-local /local ext3 rw,acl,user_xattr 0 0
/dev/mapper/system-opt /opt ext3 rw,acl,user_xattr 0 0
/dev/mapper/system-usr /usr ext3 rw,acl,user_xattr 0 0
/dev/mapper/system-var /var ext3 rw,acl,user_xattr 0 0
/dev/hda1 /c vfat rw 0 0
usbfs /proc/bus/usb usbfs rw 0 0
/dev/fd0 /media/floppy subfs rw,nosuid,nodev,noatime,fs=floppyfss,procuid 0 0

Here is my fstab: (Sorry about the wrap)

/dev/hda2 /workspace ext3 acl,user_xattr 1 2
/dev/hda3 /datastorage ext3 acl,user_xattr 1 2
/dev/hda5 /backup ext3 acl,user_xattr 1 2
/dev/hdb1 / ext3 acl,user_xattr 1 1
LABEL=data /data ext3 acl,user_xattr 1 2
LABEL=home /home ext3 acl,user_xattr 1 2
LABEL=local /local ext3 acl,user_xattr 1 2
LABEL=opt /opt ext3 acl,user_xattr 1 2
LABEL=usr /usr ext3 acl,user_xattr 1 2
LABEL=var /var ext3 acl,user_xattr 1 2
/dev/hda1 /c vfat defaults 0 0
/dev/hdb2 swap swap defaults 0 0
proc /proc proc defaults 0 0
sysfs /sys sysfs noauto 0 0
usbfs /proc/bus/usb usbfs noauto 0 0
devpts /dev/pts devpts mode=0620,gid=5 0 0
/dev/hdc /media/dvdrecorder subfs
noauto,fs=cdfss,ro,procuid,nosuid,nodev,exec,iocharset=utf8 0 0
/dev/hdd /media/cdrecorder subfs
noauto,fs=cdfss,ro,procuid,nosuid,nodev,exec,iocharset=utf8 0 0
/dev/fd0 /media/floppy subfs
noauto,fs=floppyfss,procuid,nodev,nosuid,sync 0 0
none /subdomain subdomainfs noauto 0 0

About the floppy: If I put a floppy in the drive and try to mount it I get the
already mounted message from mtab and am unable to access the drive.

I keep hoping that with each new release "everything will just work" sigh !!

I have tried every possible configuration I can think of and Yast is
completely clueless on configuring these drives. I know that some of you have
completely abandoned this automount/hal stuff and reverted to the "old" way
of manually mounting. I would be tempted to do that if I knew how. Hope
someone can help me solve this.

Bob S.

  • Re: Permission Problem
    ... I have been trying to get my floppy drive to allow user to read/write it. ... Only way to mount is as root, ... USB thumb drives and floppy disks are often formatted with a FAT ...
    (alt.os.linux.suse)
  • Re: Mounting USB Floppy Drive in Lucid
    ... I'm having an issue when trying to mount my USB floppy drive. ... but on usb flash drives as well, ... holding the udisks package back to ...
    (Ubuntu)
  • Floppy mounting
    ... you inserted a floppy into the drive and then used the Disk ... Management Tool to mount and unmount them. ... Do modern floppy disk drives automatically detect ...
    (Fedora)
  • Re: floppy drive and FC5
    ... can't remember if the floppy was accessable when I set the box up. ... cdrom/dvdrom drives there is no problem as, at least on KDE a window ... If your using KDE, you can click on the "Home" icon, then the edit menu, ... mount: mount point /media/floppy does not exist ...