Re: [SLE] Leafnode Configuration

On Wednesday 08 March 2006 04:52 pm, Michael W Cocke wrote:
On Wed, 08 Mar 2006 16:27:01 -0800, you wrote:
I wonder if anyone has managed to get leafnode to work for them.

I setup leafnode as best as I could tell, following instrucitons out on
the net.

I then ran fetchnews -n -v to get stuff, and I saw stuff coming over.

When I've tried to get either KNode or Pan to connect to my locahost
news server, I get either a connection refused or operation in progress

My firewall is set to 'off' so there should be no issues. I'm honestly
not sure how to self-check if port 119 is enabled. ???

Leafnode works fine - but not the ancient version that ships with
SuSE. The version you want is 1.11.4 (and be careful, there's a fork
floating around somewhere, as well as a 2.0 alpha). You'll have to
google for it - I can't find the url right now.

I'm not quite sure what you mean by 'ancient' since I had 1.11.3, but I
upgraded anyway from the leafnode site directly.

Still get the same error.

I can download all the newsgroups - it appears - when I run
fetchsomethingoranother, but both KNode and Pan balk at downloading groups
from localhost, yoda, or

Not a big deal, as Pan allows downloading of headers and bodies, this is more
so I can work on my donutmonster binary download project while going to and
from work (I carpool.).

kai -

43 - For those who require slightly more than the answer to life, the universe
and everything.

Also check the archives at

  • Linux recommendations?
    ... I'm looking for a command-line binary news client for Linux. ... Able to download headers without interaction, ... hour or two to get all the headers takes leafnode more than 24 hours to ...
  • Re: MT-Newswatcher & Offline reading
    ... Leafnode will generate a placeholder entry and download the group on the ... I've just set leafnode up on my iBook, ... Is there a concise set of instructions for installing and setting up leafnode out there? ... Setting it up as a network service that I could connect to with a newsreader wasn't quite so easy. ...
  • Re: [slrn] saving headers
    ... >> Even if caching headers is not implemented maybe there is a way to do ... I use leafnode to pull all the bodies ... > Remember that slrn is entirely an 'on line' reader; ... download it all at once, I just want to download what I want when I want, no ...
  • Re: Subscription problems and gmane
    ... I use pan, and for gmane and mozilla news servers I just download the ... to download message bodies in bulk? ... An alternative is to run leafnode and then connect pan to leafnode; ...
  • Re: [slrn] Strange slowness - apparent cause: scorefile?
    ... Leafnode 1 maybe, but leafnode 2's scoring is quite good and ... It does have scoring where you can apply +ve or -ve scores to ... ## delaybody to 1. ... fetch will only download the headers ...