Re: [SLE] Leafnode Configuration

On Wednesday 08 March 2006 04:52 pm, Michael W Cocke wrote:
On Wed, 08 Mar 2006 16:27:01 -0800, you wrote:
I wonder if anyone has managed to get leafnode to work for them.

I setup leafnode as best as I could tell, following instrucitons out on
the net.

I then ran fetchnews -n -v to get stuff, and I saw stuff coming over.

When I've tried to get either KNode or Pan to connect to my locahost
news server, I get either a connection refused or operation in progress
message.

Ideas?

My firewall is set to 'off' so there should be no issues. I'm honestly
not sure how to self-check if port 119 is enabled. ???
--

Leafnode works fine - but not the ancient version that ships with
SuSE. The version you want is 1.11.4 (and be careful, there's a fork

I'm not quite sure what you mean by 'ancient' since I had 1.11.3, but I
upgraded anyway from the leafnode site directly.

Still get the same error.

I can download all the newsgroups - it appears - when I run
fetchsomethingoranother, but both KNode and Pan balk at downloading groups
from localhost, yoda, or 127.0.0.1.

Not a big deal, as Pan allows downloading of headers and bodies, this is more
so I can work on my donutmonster binary download project while going to and
from work (I carpool.).

--
kai - www.perfectreign.com

43 - For those who require slightly more than the answer to life, the universe
and everything.

  • Linux recommendations?
    ... I'm looking for a command-line binary news client for Linux. ... Able to download headers without interaction, ... hour or two to get all the headers takes leafnode more than 24 hours to ...
    (news.software.readers)
  • Re: [slrn] saving headers
    ... >> Even if caching headers is not implemented maybe there is a way to do ... I use leafnode to pull all the bodies ... > Remember that slrn is entirely an 'on line' reader; ... download it all at once, I just want to download what I want when I want, no ...
    (news.software.readers)
  • Re: MT-Newswatcher & Offline reading
    ... Leafnode will generate a placeholder entry and download the group on the ... I've just set leafnode up on my iBook, ... Is there a concise set of instructions for installing and setting up leafnode out there? ... Setting it up as a network service that I could connect to with a newsreader wasn't quite so easy. ...
    (comp.sys.mac.apps)
  • Re: [slrn] Strange slowness - apparent cause: scorefile?
    ... Leafnode 1 maybe, but leafnode 2's scoring is quite good and ... It does have scoring where you can apply +ve or -ve scores to ... ## delaybody to 1. ... fetch will only download the headers ...
    (news.software.readers)
  • Re: Anyone using Leafnode?
    ... Does Leafnode handle large volume newsgroups? ... Probably binary newsgroups with such many parts each counted as a single ... scheduled fetch to actually download the parts you want to get. ...
    (alt.linux)