Re: [SLE] Re: Weird vi problem

Responding to my own post:
On Tuesday 14 March 2006 12:33, Jim Cunning wrote:
[...]
My suggestions:
[...]
4. Look at the VIM archives for clues, http://groups.yahoo.com/group/vim
Found my earlier correspondence with Bram Moolenaar in the VIM archives:
----------
From: Bram Moolenaar <Bram@...>
Date: Sun Aug 29, 2004  4:31 pm
Subject: Re: Swap file problem on Network Appliance NFS mounts
Jim Cunning wrote:

I recently installed SuSE 9.1, upgrading from 8.0, which included VIM
version 6.2.263.  I have discovered a problem when attempting to edit
files on NFS exported from a Network Appliance file server. Whenever I try
to edit a new file or an existing one, VIM complains that a swap file
already exists. In fact, there _is_ a swap file there, but it is
apparently created at the moment VIM was started.  I don't see this
problem on NFS mounts to SuSE 8.0 systems, or from my old 8.0 system to
the Network Appliance, or on local files.

Has anyone experienced this?

This points in the direction of a bad NFS implementation.  Vim is very
careful about what swap file it creates (checking for an 8.3 filesystem,
ingored case, etc.).  I very much doubt this is a problem in Vim.  But
you can only be certain by running Vim in a debugger and stepping
through the code...

213. Your kids start referring to you as "that guy in front of the monitor."

  /// Bram Moolenaar -- Bram@... -- http://www.Moolenaar.net   \\\
///        Sponsor Vim, vote for features -- http://www.Vim.org/sponsor/ \\\
\\\              Project leader for A-A-P -- http://www.A-A-P.org        ///
  \\\  Buy at Amazon and help AIDS victims -- http://ICCF.nl/click1.html ///