Re: [SLE] DVD Playback - Region Encoding

On Sunday 19 March 2006 09:48, James Knott wrote:
It would be nice if that regional coding had an expiry date.  For
example a DVD could be played anywhere 2 years after release.  This
would accomodate such market protection, while allowing full use of
purchased DVDs.  As it stands now, what happens when someone buys
several DVDs and moves to a different area?  If they move from Europe to
North America, they'll likely have to buy a new player and won't be able
to play their movies.

Most players will allow you to change the region code.... up to 5 times.

  • Re: Question re "The Great Courses: Masterpieces of the Imaginative Mind"
    ... gathered in the video room to watch it. ... somehow incompatible with their DVD player. ... Some DVDs just won't work in some ... I no longer buy their discs, ...
    (rec.arts.sf.fandom)
  • Re: Transfers of classic films - DVD or hi-def format?
    ... DVDs as something "tangible" and it's nice to be able to have my ... current hi-def disks in a standard household player in 10 years time. ... Once that's settled, dual-format BluRay / ...
    (uk.media.dvd)
  • RE: DVD-RW drive region code problem
    ... You can then use Windows Media Player to view DVDs as it will use the CODECs ... My video card doesn't have a TV out. ... > imagine that the video card is responsible for the region code change), ...
    (microsoft.public.windowsxp.hardware)
  • Re: Building to Last...how long?
    ... discovered by the target civilization. ... CDs and DVDs won't be readable in the sense that you could just pop ... them in a player and go, since there won't be any players and the ...
    (rec.arts.sf.science)
  • DVD Recorder questions
    ... I'm thinking about purchasing a DVD recorder to replace my current player. ... My current player is a Norcent DP-501M which can upconvert DVDs to 1080i and ... LRA-516) which also can upconvert and play divx files as well as record ... I can output a widescreen High def program to my VCR ...
    (alt.video.dvd)