Re: [SLE] NIC recommendation for SuSE 9.2

On Monday 27 March 2006 11:53, Hylton Conacher(ZR1HPC) wrote:
Hi,

I have a SuSE 9.2 system which I always run at init 5 which has a
Realtek 8139D NIC in it. I have contacted te manufacturers and there
currently is not a Linux module/driver available for it. I have
therefore decided to insert a SuSE Linux 9.2 compatible PCI card.

Woot? The Realtek 8139 is one of the most widely used (cheap) chips. It kind
of sucks, but it does work, the driver has workarounds for the card's quirks.

The driver is called 8139too and is included with SUSE.

Using YaST to set it up should work.

Perhaps there's a hardware problem.

Do you see the card in YaST, Hardware Information?

  • Re: eth0 and eth1 failure on boot
    ... During the installation SUSE recognizes these hardware. ... I had to do so with a Realtek ... which does a better job of probing the nics. ... the nics work, check which IO ports are used, then reboot to SuSE and fix ...
    (alt.os.linux.suse)
  • Re: ?? SuSE 9.0 Pro/AMD64 + Realtek 8201BL LAN???
    ... > and on the motherboard there is a realtek 8201BL LAN-chip. ... > chipset work under suse??? ...
    (alt.os.linux.suse)
  • New SuSe user needing some help
    ... 'm using SuSe 9 and just moved away from mandrake 9.1. ... couldn't get mandrake to work correctly with my realtek 8139 nic. ... Is there some way I can use yast to turn on or off services such as ftpd, ...
    (alt.os.linux.suse)
  • [opensuse] Suse Support for Jumbo Frames
    ... I'm running Suse 11 on an MSI K9N NEO Version 3. ... is a Realtek RTL8111B which, ... either ifconfig or the ip command. ... believe that Suse 11 doesn't support Jumbo frames. ...
    (SuSE)
  • [SLE] a long-time Suser compares kubuntu and Suse
    ... Suse has always been good at that. ... Kubuntu is basically ... you see in the yast titlebar is my feature. ... for ages, then go find the software, install it, and hope it works. ...
    (SuSE)