Re: [SLE] The future of SuSE Linux as we know it?

On Thursday 06 April 2006 2:19 pm, lerninlinux@xxxxxxxxxxx wrote:
From: Allen <slackwarewolf@xxxxxxxxxxx>

On Tuesday 04 April 2006 11:47 pm, lerninlinux@xxxxxxxxxxx wrote:

It's almost 12 PM here, and I haven't been to bed yet. Time is not a
valid source of how tired someone is.

12 PM isn't 12 AM, As I work two jobs, seven days a week, my computer
hours vary widely. Lately it's been between 11PM and 3AM, hence all my
mistakes.

I know that. I meant it was 12 PM and I was still awake from the day before.

And doing all that seems pretty stupid, why not use a better mail client?
Mutt comes with SUSE.

Webmail, this list and multiple locations and pc's. If I had a laptop,
then I could.

Mutt works over SSH and Telnet....

As for choice, I don't have a problem with choice, I have a problem with
people who think that because SUSE isn't going to take 3 days to install,
and then need two security updates a day, and because it uses a GOOD
installer and system like YAST that for some reason you'd need another
distro to learn "The command line"....

I had one distro, that I liked long ago, go nuts (see sco formerly Caldera,
from pentium 1 days), I have received bad disks from magazines, watched
companies go bankrupt, had my new installation support, on the licensed
machine go ignored, etc. I posted in an earlier post about how I plan on
making the floppies, and doing an ftp install, on my new (from parts, with
Suse) server system, as I don't want to unscrew a dvd from another machine,
and I consider that a good learning experience. But I refuse to just play
with one distro. Distro's can disappear, be neglected, go off in a
direction I chose not to, eliminate one program that I like from them, for
another, etc. I choose to not be distrocentric a long time ago.

Novell has been around about as long as I've been born, they aren't going
anywhere. And I've never had one problem with support. They answered my
question even though i had NOTHING to do with the install which is all they
HAVE to cover and from what I've seen on this list others have said they
helped them with more than an install as well.

  • Re: [opensuse] fsh and distros
    ... There used to be a real answer but *suse has been coasting on inertia and declining for a few years. ... I use it primarily because back when it was a stand-out distro, I chose it and now I have a ton of servers and all my companies employees are trained on the details. ... I usually have to manually install wicd and dink with it a while to get wifi working. ... It's open source so you don't have to use suse to use obs, but I like to pput credit where it belongs. ...
    (SuSE)
  • Re: [opensuse] Yast update log location? - SOLVED
    ... The Announcement that Suse 9.2 is no longer supported with updates came last week. ... and hopefully the recent M$-Novell deal will make a future version that is easier to use/operate without losing the strengths of Linux. ... I've installed and used 6 different Linux distros as a separate distro, since it is different enough from the community versions of 8, 9, and 10 that I have tried). ... It was obvious that SLES 10 is a commercial product by its install and its default configuration. ...
    (SuSE)
  • Re: Internet Cafe
    ... > They are going to let me install Linux on one of the machines... ... > My main question is which distro would be best for this? ... (The slight downside is that the suse terms allow gifted use, ...
    (alt.os.linux)
  • re: [opensuse] Re: [opensuse-factory] 10.3 Review
    ... Looks like the DVD ... probably not have had a successful install, ... it should wake up Senior Management in SuSE. ... which we will sell at over $1000/DVD, and a "desktop" distro ...
    (SuSE)
  • Re: [SLE] Installing other distros RPM packages?
    ... >>that whilst it may be possible to install other distro RPM's on our ... >>those packages from source into a SuSE RPM and then installing it? ...
    (SuSE)