Re: [SLE] Nvidia / AV Out Not Center

On Wednesday 24 May 2006 11:53 am, Carl Hartung wrote:
Hi Shawn,

On Wednesday 24 May 2006 06:45, Shawn Holland wrote:
Yes I switched to runlevel 3. But no I did not change my inittab to
runlevel 3.

This *could* just be a precaution against inconvenient "black screens"
caused by loading an incorrect or wrongly configured module. It could
/also/ be that dropping to runlevel 3 *after* incorrectly initializing the
card may complicate the installation. Since the default runlevel becomes
irrelevant after the module has been correctly configured and installed, I
think the precaution is reasonable.

The installer had to custom compile it for me.

and

When compiling the 7174 I didn't have any problems compiling it once
I read the help files :)

Did you see anything unusual at all during the build? Any warnings or error
messages that you haven't seen during previous (and successful)
installations? It isn't like there's an md5sum you can check to confirm the
module is valid... do you know of any tests to verify the integrity of the
module short of just loading and trying it out?

I had given up at this point :(

I don't blame you one bit! :-) Even with the excellent 'how-to' and
'readme' and many online resources the process still leaves one feeling
like a detective in a board game picking up clues here and there to solve a
story. Hopefully, I haven't overlooked anything in my last 'Q&A' style
post... I can't test if it works without a board, so you get to be the
guinea pig!

I'm inclined to reload SuSE and follow the documentation throughly to see
if it will work. I will do that today and let you know what my results
are.

Good luck!

Carl

Ok here's what I've done.

Reloaded SuSE 10.0. Did all the online updates (excluding the nvidia driver)
Installed the Kernel and C++ Dev packages.

I set inittab to 3.

Set the following:

/etc/udev/static_devices.txt:

nvidia0 c 195 0 666
nvidia1 c 195 1 666
nvidia2 c 195 2 666
nvidia3 c 195 3 666
nvidia4 c 195 4 666
nvidia5 c 195 5 666
nvidia6 c 195 6 666
nvidia7 c 195 7 666
nvidiactl c 195 255 666

Also as per SuSE's HowTo I've removed the following:

/etc/modprobe.d/nvidia

I then did:

cd /usr/src/linux
make cloneconfig
make prepare-all

Then I compiled the nvidia drivers using the
--kernel-source-path /usr/src/linux

And you can verifiy that is correct by using rpm -q kernel-source --scripts

So the nvidia driver was successful :)

Now the fun part. Setting up Xorg.conf

I have made the following adjustments:

Section "Device"
Driver "nvidia"
Option "RenderAccel" "True"
Option "ConnectedMonitor" "TV"
Option "TVStandard" "NTSC-M"
Option "AllowGLXWithComposite" "On"
Option "TVOutFormat" "COMPOSITE"
EndSection

Section "Extensions"
Option "Composite" "true"
EndSection

Now it does start up just fine If I set it to run off of a monitor.

hwinfo --gfxcard

It showed nvidia for the X drivers.

That was the first time I ran it. But now when I run it it always shows NV
again ... argh...

But using SaX2 -m 0=nvidia I get the nvidia splash page and all the nvidia
options.

But when I try to start X with the above Xorg.conf it goes to the composite
diaplay but its just a black window there is nothing displayed.

I know this is true because its on one of my AV ports which if there is no
signal it will display AV1 at the top. I have it hooked up to a Monitor as
well just to watch. And it boots off the monitor then when runlevel 5 is
reached it switches over to the TV because the monitor turns off and the av1
shows there's a signal. But again just black (but its nice and centered :) ).

I set it to load the monitor to try the nvidia-settings utility but It only
detects the CRT for the connected displays.

So I've almost taken a step backwards! I got the driver installed but now its
not showing the driver in hwinfo and nothing displays to composite.

As a note I also tried the SVidio out and its the same thing as Composite.

What is interesting is that in SaX2 -m 0=nvidia it has all the options for tv
standard and tvoutformat. But I'll have to do more reading to make sure I put
the correct values in there and what does and doesn't need to be filled out.

--
Regards,

Shawn Holland
Sandara Technologies Ltd.
Ph. 1-902-405-3344
Fx. 1-902-405-3345

  • Re: Debian 5 installation
    ... Subject: Debian 5 installation ... You don't need the nvidia driver, "nv" is the default and should work ... I installed nvidia proprietary drivers by following Debian wiki steps: ...
    (Debian-User)
  • [kde] Re: How do I remove the "new activity" item from the desktop? [OT]
    ... You have the Option "DPMS" set in two different sections, the monitor ... Identifier "Layout0" ... Driver "mouse" ... VendorName "NVIDIA Corporation" ...
    (KDE)
  • Re: MultiHead Fedora
    ... nvidia GeForce 5500 PCI with with nvidia driver from livna. ... so i have the xine control screen on the monitor and the output of xine ... Identifier "Multihead Layout" ...
    (Fedora)
  • Re: [opensuse] nVidia GeForce 8500GT Belinea 103035W OpenSUSE 11.1 Woes
    ... Belinea 103035W NOT in the Monitor List of YaST. ... If you are using the nvidia drivers, install and setup the display using the ... What is the "nv" driver called these days. ...
    (SuSE)
  • Re: Help Setting up Dual Monitors
    ... using an NVIDIA Quadro FX video card please? ... One monitor is fine but ... I don't think the nv driver that comes with SUSE supports dual monitors. ... Radeon 8500 but Nvidia cards are the best supported PCI-E cards ...
    (alt.os.linux.suse)