[SLE] DMA Nightlmare on SuSE 10.x Revisited

Unlike on SuSE 10.0 where I could at least manually force SuSE to set DMA for my DVD ROM and the DVD burner, on SuSE 10.1 even this avenue of irriatation has been taken away from me :-( . I now cannot set the DMA for either unit at all - period!

I have a LG GDR8164B, using UDMA 2, as the DVD/CD reader and a PIONEER 110 as the burner - both no more than 6 months or so old. The are installed as /dev/hdb and /dev/hdd, respectively (hda and hdb are Maxtor HDs).

Doing /sbin/hdparm for both produces the following reault and error:

hdb hdd

IO_support = 1 (32-bit) IO_support = 1 (32-bit)
unmasking = 1 (on) unmasking = 1 (on)
using_dma = 0 (off) using_dma = 0 (off)
keepsettings = 0 (off) keepsettings = 0 (off)
readonly = 0 (off) readonly = 0 (off)
readahead = 1024 (on) readahead = 1024 (on)
HDIO_GETGEO failed: Inappropriate ioctl for device [Same error <-- here]

In /etc/sysconfig/ide I have the FORCE DMA for both these devices set - but this has no affect, the stetement is ignored.

Going to Yast Control Centre and setting the DMA for these devices produces the error message(s):

QUOTE

Cannot set required mode '%1 for device %2'

UNQUOTE

In SuSE 10.0 at least I didn't get this error message(s) and I was able to force the DMA before using the DVD reader but now, in 10.1, I cannot.

Does SuSE/Novell have an explanation for this and a solution?

Cheers.

--
All answers questioned here.

  • Re: PATCH: cdrecord: avoiding scsi device numbering for ide devices
    ... The binary results runs rather poor after building it on SuSE 9.1. ... and tried to read a 4.5Gb dvd isoimage ... To put this to the test i installed on the same proliant 800, Mandrake ... And not only does the Mandrake kernel switch on DMA on the NEC 2510A ...
    (Linux-Kernel)
  • Re: [SLE] Setting the DMA *and* making it stick
    ... > How does one make SuSE 10 accept the fact that I want the DMA on the DVD ... You gotta spend a lot of time at your school Locker stuffing underware up ...
    (SuSE)
  • [SLE] Setting the DMA *and* making it stick
    ... How does one make SuSE 10 accept the fact that I want the DMA on the DVD ... ROM set to UDMA 33? ...
    (SuSE)
  • Re: [SLE] DMA Nightlmare on SuSE 10.x Revisited
    ... | Unlike on SuSE 10.0 where I could at least manually force SuSE to set ... I now cannot set the DMA ...
    (SuSE)
  • Re: k3b speed
    ... Using SuSE 10. ... When you select burn, you will get a new window that has some tabs, ... In fact, you can get dvd ... I wouldn't replace a cd-rw with anything but a dvd burner now. ...
    (comp.windows.x.kde)