[SLE] SUSE 10.1 64-bit and nForce 3 S-ATA problem

A friend is currently trying to install 10.1 on a new S-ATA drive ha has
purchased. The machine has been running 10.1 on an old 30GB IDE drive, but he
has upgraded to a 250GB S-ATA drive.

He is currently trying to re-install and the partitioning keeps hanging with a
1012 error.

The motherboard is a Chaintech VNF3-250 Cocket 754 with an nForce3 chipset.
The new hard drive is a Maxtor 250GB S-ATA II plugged into a S-ATA I slot -
it should drop back to S-ATA 1 compatibility...

He only currently has the 64-bit 10.1 DVD, although he does have the 10.0
retail DVD. I've suggested he now try and install the 32-bit 10.0 to see if
it is a 64-bit driver issue, but I'm pretty stumped, with my Promise S-ATA
controller 2 years ago with SUSE 9.1, or whatever it was at the time, I just
popped the DVD into the drive and Bob's your Uncle...

I did some Googling, but couldn't find anything specifc to the nForce3 and
S-ATA causing problems under Linux.

David Wright

"I got to go figure," the tenant said. "We all got to figure. There's some way
to stop this. It's not like lightning or earthquakes. We've got a bad thing
made by men, and by God that's something we can change."
- The Grapes of Wrath, by John Steinbeck