[SLE] SUSE 10.1 64-bit and nForce 3 S-ATA problem

A friend is currently trying to install 10.1 on a new S-ATA drive ha has
purchased. The machine has been running 10.1 on an old 30GB IDE drive, but he
has upgraded to a 250GB S-ATA drive.

He is currently trying to re-install and the partitioning keeps hanging with a
1012 error.

The motherboard is a Chaintech VNF3-250 Cocket 754 with an nForce3 chipset.
The new hard drive is a Maxtor 250GB S-ATA II plugged into a S-ATA I slot -
it should drop back to S-ATA 1 compatibility...

He only currently has the 64-bit 10.1 DVD, although he does have the 10.0
retail DVD. I've suggested he now try and install the 32-bit 10.0 to see if
it is a 64-bit driver issue, but I'm pretty stumped, with my Promise S-ATA
controller 2 years ago with SUSE 9.1, or whatever it was at the time, I just
popped the DVD into the drive and Bob's your Uncle...

I did some Googling, but couldn't find anything specifc to the nForce3 and
S-ATA causing problems under Linux.

--
David Wright

"I got to go figure," the tenant said. "We all got to figure. There's some way
to stop this. It's not like lightning or earthquakes. We've got a bad thing
made by men, and by God that's something we can change."
- The Grapes of Wrath, by John Steinbeck

  • Re: SATA Drives
    ... >but thought i could try the sata thing with my old hard drives. ... Remember that the ability to hot-swap S-ATA hard drives (i.e. connect ... Primary UIDE connector unused, and hook up your optical drives to the ... to smell the HDs or install anywhere. ...
  • Re: S-ATA running as P-ATA, is this a potential problem?
    ... SATA drivers are not delivered in SP2. ... > during setup and XP could then install. ... > to install the Dell Desktop System Software drivers (which includes S-ATA ... > *might* be able to set the BIOS back to AHCI and have the drive recognized ...
    (microsoft.public.windowsxp.hardware)
  • Re: SATA drive not recognised
    ... S-ATA port and look over the text. ... I have the HDD connected to the SATA 1 connector, and in the bios it shows ... boot-up, it's just not recognised by Windows when I try to install it, or if ...
    (microsoft.public.windowsxp.hardware)
  • Re: S-ATA Serial ATA Serial_Ch0 Master No Device Bios Festplatte nicht erkannt VIA 8237R
    ... If you have problems with S-ATA Harddisks to install on that mainboard named ... Seagate Barracuda 160GB nicht erkennen. ...
    (alt.comp.periphs.mainboard.asus)
  • Re: SATA drive not recognised
    ... S-ATA port and look over the text. ... Because my first post was rather long I'll forgive you, but I did say that the bios DOES recognise that the HDD is there during boot-up, it's just not recognised by Windows when I try to install it, or if I boot an already installed version. ...
    (microsoft.public.windowsxp.hardware)