[SLE] SUSE 10.1 64-bit and nForce 3 S-ATA problem

A friend is currently trying to install 10.1 on a new S-ATA drive ha has
purchased. The machine has been running 10.1 on an old 30GB IDE drive, but he
has upgraded to a 250GB S-ATA drive.

He is currently trying to re-install and the partitioning keeps hanging with a
1012 error.

The motherboard is a Chaintech VNF3-250 Cocket 754 with an nForce3 chipset.
The new hard drive is a Maxtor 250GB S-ATA II plugged into a S-ATA I slot -
it should drop back to S-ATA 1 compatibility...

He only currently has the 64-bit 10.1 DVD, although he does have the 10.0
retail DVD. I've suggested he now try and install the 32-bit 10.0 to see if
it is a 64-bit driver issue, but I'm pretty stumped, with my Promise S-ATA
controller 2 years ago with SUSE 9.1, or whatever it was at the time, I just
popped the DVD into the drive and Bob's your Uncle...

I did some Googling, but couldn't find anything specifc to the nForce3 and
S-ATA causing problems under Linux.

--
David Wright

"I got to go figure," the tenant said. "We all got to figure. There's some way
to stop this. It's not like lightning or earthquakes. We've got a bad thing
made by men, and by God that's something we can change."
- The Grapes of Wrath, by John Steinbeck