Re: [SLE] SUSE 10.1 64-bit and nForce 3 S-ATA problem

Am Donnerstag, 13. Juli 2006 05:51 schrieb BandiPat:
On Wednesday 12 July 2006 14:26, David Wright wrote:
A friend is currently trying to install 10.1 on a new S-ATA drive ha
has purchased. The machine has been running 10.1 on an old 30GB IDE
drive, but he has upgraded to a 250GB S-ATA drive.

He is currently trying to re-install and the partitioning keeps
hanging with a 1012 error.

The motherboard is a Chaintech VNF3-250 Cocket 754 with an nForce3
chipset. The new hard drive is a Maxtor 250GB S-ATA II plugged into a
S-ATA I slot - it should drop back to S-ATA 1 compatibility...

He only currently has the 64-bit 10.1 DVD, although he does have the
10.0 retail DVD. I've suggested he now try and install the 32-bit
10.0 to see if it is a 64-bit driver issue, but I'm pretty stumped,
with my Promise S-ATA controller 2 years ago with SUSE 9.1, or
whatever it was at the time, I just popped the DVD into the drive and
Bob's your Uncle...

I did some Googling, but couldn't find anything specifc to the
nForce3 and S-ATA causing problems under Linux.

--
David Wright

----------------
David,
There have been problems with the nForce 3 chipset, that was the reason
they quickly produced the 4. Also, there were problems with SATA
drives over 160GB with the older sata controllers. I'm guessing those
could be causing him some problems as well with his install.

regards,
Lee

Yikes, thanks for that. I haven't had any machines with nForce, so hadn't come
across this problem.

I've passed the information on, he'll probably look at a slightly more
reliable motherboard... ;-)

--
David Wright

"I got to go figure," the tenant said. "We all got to figure. There's some way
to stop this. It's not like lightning or earthquakes. We've got a bad thing
made by men, and by God that's something we can change."
- The Grapes of Wrath, by John Steinbeck

  • Re: [SLE] SUSE 10.1 64-bit and nForce 3 S-ATA problem
    ... On Wednesday 12 July 2006 14:26, David Wright wrote: ... but he has upgraded to a 250GB S-ATA drive. ... He only currently has the 64-bit 10.1 DVD, ... drives over 160GB with the older sata controllers. ...
    (SuSE)
  • Re: SATA & IDE in same computer
    ... > I would appreciate help on a S-ata issue that no one seems to get. ... The Nvidia Raid controller that is built in the MoBo seems ... It's as if I had no drives installed. ... > I think that maybe the techs just didn't configure the BIOS correctly ...
    (microsoft.public.windowsxp.general)
  • Re: S-ata HDDs Not Recognized in ASUS BIOS
    ... > I would appreciate help on a S-ata issue that no one seems to get. ... The Nvidia Raid controller that is built in the MoBo seems ... It's as if I had no drives installed. ... > I think that maybe the techs just didn't configure the BIOS correctly ...
    (microsoft.public.windowsxp.general)
  • Re: SCSI -> S-ATA RAID conversion
    ... Ghost 2002 couldn't cope with the S-ATA controller. ... the disk wouldn't boot (blinking cursor ... I've reverted back to the SCSI drives until I either upgrade ...
    (microsoft.public.windows.server.sbs)
  • Re: Large number of IDE drives
    ... S-ATA 2 will support daisychanned S-ATA drives per channel, ... RAID has another benefit - with 16 drives you have greater probability ... since ATA is considerably more obstructive re airflow. ...
    (comp.os.linux.hardware)