Re: [SLE] Not SUSE-related - serial port on a Compaq 8-port SAN-switch?

Do you have a breakout box so you can test the port and cable?
The cable is working. I use it for a couple of headless systems too.
Are you sure it needs a null-modem?
No, that's one thing I'm not certain about - the port on the switch is
male, as is the port on the host
.>This is one of the reasons you may want a break out box. There is no
hard standard for such connections and some manufacturers use a male
connector, where others would use a female. With a break out box, you
can see which pins are used for transmit & receive and wire accordingly.

Check out the statserial utility; statserial will show the status of the
pins of the serial port, like a software breakout box.

Relevant Pages

  • Re: How to build a micro-controller Dev. board ??
    ... well *and* you know what ports and pins you need. ... A for the analog and port C for the digital. ... You can replace it by a smaller connector ...
    (sci.electronics.design)
  • Help: not quite working correctly.
    ... I have a Xilinx XC9536 linked up to the expansion connector of an old ... I have the output port working fine, when I write a value to the port, it is ... appears on the output port pins, ...
    (comp.lang.verilog)
  • Mainstone II and Port 2 USB Host
    ... I have a Mainstone II board and am trying to utilize the Port 2 as a non-OTG ... through the OTG connector on the daughter card. ... The on-chip mux has been configured to select the host vs. the default ... The USB keyboard does not connect to the Port 2 Host. ...
  • Re: [SLE] Not SUSE-related - serial port on a Compaq 8-port SAN-switch?
    ... connector, where others would use a female. ... can see which pins are used for transmit & receive and wire accordingly. ... pins of the serial port, ...
    (SuSE)
  • Re: Quick question
    ... The port on the device is a 15pin d-sub ... I know that pins 1-8 on the 15pin connector are the data and that it ... A parallel port usually needs some type of timing pulse to indicate ...
    (sci.electronics.basics)