Re: [SLE] Not SUSE-related - serial port on a Compaq 8-port SAN-switch?

Do you have a breakout box so you can test the port and cable?
The cable is working. I use it for a couple of headless systems too.
Are you sure it needs a null-modem?
No, that's one thing I'm not certain about - the port on the switch is
male, as is the port on the host
.>This is one of the reasons you may want a break out box. There is no
hard standard for such connections and some manufacturers use a male
connector, where others would use a female. With a break out box, you
can see which pins are used for transmit & receive and wire accordingly.

Check out the statserial utility; statserial will show the status of the
pins of the serial port, like a software breakout box.

Relevant Pages

  • Re: How to build a micro-controller Dev. board ??
    ... well *and* you know what ports and pins you need. ... A for the analog and port C for the digital. ... You can replace it by a smaller connector ...
    (sci.electronics.design)
  • Re: Getting data off a pre-USB laptop with a dead floppy drive.
    ... Floppy drives for these old laptops do occasionally surface but they are not cheap. ... The laptop has a printer port and a serial port and a port marked IOIO. ... I tried removing the hard drive, hoping it would fit one of my USB portable harddrive cases, but the connector is different. ... In terms of "exposures" with such an adapter, the pins on the adapter can ...
    (alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt)
  • Help: not quite working correctly.
    ... I have a Xilinx XC9536 linked up to the expansion connector of an old ... I have the output port working fine, when I write a value to the port, it is ... appears on the output port pins, ...
    (comp.lang.verilog)
  • Mainstone II and Port 2 USB Host
    ... I have a Mainstone II board and am trying to utilize the Port 2 as a non-OTG ... through the OTG connector on the daughter card. ... The on-chip mux has been configured to select the host vs. the default ... The USB keyboard does not connect to the Port 2 Host. ...
  • Re: [SLE] Not SUSE-related - serial port on a Compaq 8-port SAN-switch?
    ... connector, where others would use a female. ... can see which pins are used for transmit & receive and wire accordingly. ... pins of the serial port, ...
    (SuSE)