Re: [SLE] Re: suggest me for upgrade options?

张韡武 wrote:
在 2006-07-26三的 15:34 +0800,张韡武写道:
Hello. Sorry if OT, I think this perhaps should go to suse-admin list if
there is one.

The X terminal server has 8 users, load average is #uptime
(14 users because gnome-terminal users are counted too)

CPU: Intel(R) Celeron(R) CPU 2.40GHz => OS is SuSE 10.1
Harddisk is 40GB 7200RPM with 2MB cache, 1GB DDR memory is installed,
averagely 758MB swap space is used.

Current biggest problem is the "stun" effect, that is if one user use
Firefox to load a big web page (example: a purely text web page of
500KB), all users consoles are frozen, that is, click have no effect,
keyboard do not respond, everything looks as if the machine is dead, the
X terminals come back alive again when the 500KB webpage is loaded.

The purpose of upgrade is to remove stun effect (that's my way of
calling it) and to speed up application launch to around 250% faster,
because the two are where complaints from. Users complain their X
terminal sometimes stun for 10 seconds, totally unexpected. Further
launching jedit takes 20 to 40 seconds, they want it loaded in 10
seconds.

At least a Hyper-Threading CPU, but better Dual Core CPU or real dual CPU will solve most of your terminal freezing.

I am not an expert on linux tuning, but it should be possible to configure max cpu time and priority for users in /etc/security/limits.conf. This must be enabled in /etc/pam.d/ IMHO.

Sandy
--
List replies only please!

  • [SLE] suggest me for upgrade options?
    ... The X terminal server has 8 users, load average is ... CPU: IntelCeleronCPU 2.40GHz => OS is SuSE 10.1 ... Current biggest problem is the "stun" effect, that is if one user use ... X terminals come back alive again when the 500KB webpage is loaded. ...
    (SuSE)
  • solved (was Re: xterm scrolling speed - scheduling weirdness in 2.6 ?!)
    ... If the terminal process gets to much cpu for too long this will make the ... since probably all other terminals have their roots in xterm ... Which process eats up CPU then? ... send the line "unsubscribe linux-kernel" in ...
    (Linux-Kernel)
  • Re: [9fans] making yourself at home
    ... reboot. ... no. you can cpu as another user, but you have a terminal, not a cpu server. ... file-server and to use thin clients as terminals. ...
    (comp.os.plan9)
  • Re: [9fans] VMs, etc. (was: Re: security questions)
    ... the GPU on my low-end video card takes a huge burden off of the ... CPU when leveraged by the right H.264 decoder. ... More and more, for administration, using light terminals, without ... can be a single logical user, having to handle concurrently the very ...
    (comp.os.plan9)
  • Re: [SLE] Re: suggest me for upgrade options?
    ... The X terminal server has 8 users, load average is ... CPU: IntelCeleronCPU 2.40GHz => OS is SuSE 10.1 ... X terminals come back alive again when the 500KB webpage is loaded. ... CPU or SMP) ...
    (SuSE)