Re: [SLE] Novell's official position on binary only kernel modules

Is there a place I can download the ATI drivers directly?

Andreas Jaeger wrote:
"Osho GG" <oshogg@xxxxxxxxx> writes:

Hi,

I recently read a Ottawa Linux Symposium talk report by Greg
Kroah-Hartman (SuSE Labs/Novell) which is at:

http://www.kroah.com/log/linux/ols_2006_keynote.html

The precise wording of Novell's policy is:

Novell's Official Position

Most developers of the kernel community consider non-GPL kernel
modules ot be infringing on their copyright. Novell does respect this
position, and will no longer distribute non-GPL kernel modules as part
of future products.

February 9, 2006

Does this mean we won't see ATI/NVidia's graphics drivers in their
future releases? How much of the current hardware will be impacted by
such a policy?

We never had NVidia's drivers as part of our releases and will not add
them.

Btw. NVidia and ATI both of repositories with drivers that you can
use:

Add as ZYPP / YUM source:

http://www2.ati.com/suse/ as repo for ATI drivers and
Packages:
x11-video-fglrx
ati-fglrx-kmp-default (replace default by your kernel flavour)

ftp://download.nvidia.com/novell for NVIDIA drivers.
Package:
nvidia-gfx-kmp-default (replace default by your flavour)

While these are the SLED 10 drivers, the current SUSE Linux 10.1
update kernel works fine with them, as it's basically the same,

Andreas

--
One day at a time, one second if that's what it takes