Re: [SLE] Novell's official position on binary only kernel modules

Is there a place I can download the ATI drivers directly?

Andreas Jaeger wrote:
"Osho GG" <oshogg@xxxxxxxxx> writes:

Hi,

I recently read a Ottawa Linux Symposium talk report by Greg
Kroah-Hartman (SuSE Labs/Novell) which is at:

http://www.kroah.com/log/linux/ols_2006_keynote.html

The precise wording of Novell's policy is:

Novell's Official Position

Most developers of the kernel community consider non-GPL kernel
modules ot be infringing on their copyright. Novell does respect this
position, and will no longer distribute non-GPL kernel modules as part
of future products.

February 9, 2006

Does this mean we won't see ATI/NVidia's graphics drivers in their
future releases? How much of the current hardware will be impacted by
such a policy?

We never had NVidia's drivers as part of our releases and will not add
them.

Btw. NVidia and ATI both of repositories with drivers that you can
use:

Add as ZYPP / YUM source:

http://www2.ati.com/suse/ as repo for ATI drivers and
Packages:
x11-video-fglrx
ati-fglrx-kmp-default (replace default by your kernel flavour)

ftp://download.nvidia.com/novell for NVIDIA drivers.
Package:
nvidia-gfx-kmp-default (replace default by your flavour)

While these are the SLED 10 drivers, the current SUSE Linux 10.1
update kernel works fine with them, as it's basically the same,

Andreas

--
One day at a time, one second if that's what it takes

  • Re: [SLE] Novells official position on binary only kernel modules
    ... I recently read a Ottawa Linux Symposium talk report by Greg ... Most developers of the kernel community consider non-GPL kernel ... We never had NVidia's drivers as part of our releases and will not add ... While these are the SLED 10 drivers, the current SUSE Linux 10.1 ...
    (SuSE)
  • Re: New MoBo now Windows freezes
    ... > Motherboard and the ATI drivers? ... Install any needed BIOS update, ... In VGA mode, you should be able to use your internet access, without any ... Finally, install the ATi drivers. ...
    (microsoft.public.windowsxp.general)
  • Re: Giving Up On Fedora
    ... have an nVidia video card and so it ... We've found the ATI drivers to work quite well once understood. ... We had to formalized a process to keep the fglrx kernel module in sync with kernel packages, but that's necessary with any external package that lives so close to the kernel. ...
    (Fedora)
  • Re: [opensuse] ATI Drivers - Not yet for everyone
    ... > be assured that ATI drivers would be there. ... > 10.1 install, ... I have 9600XT on 10.2 openSuSE and the ati fglrx drivers installs and loads ... For additional commands, e-mail: opensuse+help@xxxxxxxxxxxx ...
    (SuSE)
  • Re: [SLE] Radeon 9000 troubles Take two!
    ... On Sunday 07 September 2003 5:36 pm, Franklin Maurer wrote: ... >> and kernel module. ... >> Here are the procedures if you decide to go with the ATI drivers though. ...
    (SuSE)