Re: [SLE] export DISPLAY problems

On Monday 31 July 2006 12:28, Malte Neumann wrote:
[suse]$ xhost + hpux
[suse]$ rlogin hpux
[hpux]$ export DISPLAY=suse:0.0
[hpux]$ xclock
Error: Can't open display: suse:0.0

Try running 'xhost + hpux' from your ~/.xinitrc file, instead of from a
console. If i'm not mistaken, running it from a console in an X session
is useless.

--
----- stephan@xxxxxxxx http://s11n.net
"...pleasure is a grace and is not obedient to the commands

  • Re: Non-root users cannot run Xwindow
    ... That means that user doesn't have permission to use the local xserver. ... Typically the user that logs into the console 'owns' the display. ... > I have a user trying to run windowed apps from command line, ... the docs did not mention what to do if xclock did ...
    (RedHat)
  • Re: "E233: cannot open display" when starting gvim on ubuntu 8.04 root ?shell
    ... If you justopena terminal window and "echo $DISPLAY" then what do you ... does xclock or gvim give an error ... The regular console on Konsole is ok: ...
    (comp.os.linux.setup)
  • Re: kill xterm kills app!
    ... >> x out of terminal kills xclock! ... Why does xclock become a child of the xterm process if you use the ... I hope the console doesn't work this way. ...
    (Fedora)