Re: [SLE] New laptop -- which version?

On Sun, 2006-07-30 at 14:29 -0400, John E. Perry wrote:
I've just bought an hp Pavilion dv5234us laptop. I need to keep the
installed Win XP for professional reasons, but I want to use suse as the
main system. The laptop will be used for electronics CAD, (along with
this desktop), documentation, and presentation at client sites.

The laptop has an Intel Core Duo processor -- two Pentium cores on the
same chip. For this I should install the 32-bit smp kernel, right?

I have the impression that laptops need special treatment when
installing systems and software. If anyone could offer some advice, and
some pointers to guidance, I'd appreciate it.

First know your hardware and chipsets, do not listen to the salesmen
they tend to be clueless. Second keep the XP to a minimum unless
required for the job keep it to a single DVD lile 4.5 gig or 8.0 gig
depending upon the burner. If its not a DVDRW get an external.

--
___ _ _ _ ____ _ _ _
| | | | [__ | | |

  • Re: freebsd-questions Digest, Vol 250, Issue 2
    ... FreeBSD 7.1R on laptop ... Busy disk and page fault ... Re: Which install? ...
    (freebsd-questions)
  • Wired and wireless PCMCIA LAN cards: configuration problems
    ... I have a Toshiba Tecra 8000 P2 laptop first with Sarge and now with Etgh ... Right after booting the laptop with that PC card installed, ... the Network Settings in the KDE Control Centre as root. ... After some experimentation I found that I had to install the D-Link card ...
    (Debian-User)
  • Boot and general performance
    ... Checked out what is starting up and uninstalled any program that I no longer used and adjusted ones I still use to only load what they need when I actually click on them to start. ... I also stand the laptop on a cake stand so that air flow under and around it is maximised. ... so I tried to use SFC /SCANBOOT as I used to on XP but that option doesn't exist for SFC under Vista so I cant reboot and have a windows OS file scan be performed when no file is locked. ... Not daunted I thought about "repair install" which *CAN* be done on my desktop Vista Business if needed with the DVD there but the laptop came with Vista Ultimate 64 bit already installed and with a restore partition on it, no disk, as usual and I cannot actually DO a repair install because of that. ...
  • Re: Service pack 2 killed my laptop
    ... Check in at Windows Update and install all critical updates & reboot. ... WinXP SP2: What's New for Internet Explorer and Outlook Express ... > - if I put my laptop into "hibernate," I get errors when I try to start it ...
    (microsoft.public.windowsxp.general)
  • Re: Windows Keep Closing
    ... You describe "running from command line" which to me connotes a DOS window. ... "Programs" created on my laptop, when brought to work carry along ... VFP Run dialog? ... When I "install" them at a client's site, ...