Re: [SLE] HDD Upgrade

On Mon, Jul 31, 2006 at 7:36 PM, in message
<9CABE881-FDF7-4A5B-98D9-EB7BEABC7AB8@xxxxxxx>, <suse_gasjr4wd@xxxxxxx> wrote:

Or, better yet leave the 40 GB the boot disk and make the 80 GB home.
Having the 80 for home will free up space on the 40 for the other
partitions, but the home partitions usually take up the most space
as that is where all your "stuff" is.

I think I will give this a shot and put the 40G back as the main drive and mount /home to the 80G. Since I've never done this before, let me know if these are the correct steps:
1. copy -a or tar /home to /oldhome.
2. partition new drive
3. mkdir /home on new drive
4. mount new drive and move the old /oldhome files to /home
5. modify /etc/fstab to include /dev/hdxx /home reiserfs acl,user_xattr 1 3

I think that about does it. Does this look correct?

Thanks,
Brian

  • Installation issues
    ... A manual, and I have no idea where in the archives to look, so I'm ... The main disk is broken into unequal partitions. ... To start Fedora, I ... I picked up that I have to mount the drive. ...
    (Fedora)
  • Re: System partition icons do not show up
    ... Other partitions on the drive do have their icons ... Disk utility also seems to unmount and mount them although ... "SetFile" tool which is part of the developer tools, ...
    (comp.sys.mac.system)
  • Re: Vector Linux
    ... partitions in GParted when the installer gives you access to it. ... The reason for making the statement on the mounting of the partitions is ... that not all Linux OS's require you to get in and do ALL of the mount ... the Windows partition has been an ...
    (alt.os.linux)
  • Re: Xenix Filesystem
    ... > how do I mount a new filesystem in SCO Open Server 5.0.5? ... There is probably at least 2 or 3 divvy partitions within that fdisk ...
    (comp.unix.sco.misc)
  • Re: Moving Along with Fedora!
    ... but I would like to know the windows equivalent of the Linux ... you "mount" them to the tree. ... all the letter designations for drives have disappeared. ... a drive, the partitions have device named like /dev/hda1 or /dev/hda2, ...
    (Fedora)