Re: [SLE] A SuSe distribution running from a 2 GB stick

On Wed, 2006-08-30 at 15:26 -0400, suse_gasjr4wd@xxxxxxx wrote:
On Aug 30, 2006, at 3:12 PM, John wrote:

Roger Oberholtzer wrote:
On Wed, 2006-08-30 at 13:29 -0400, suse_gasjr4wd@xxxxxxx wrote:

On Aug 30, 2006, at 12:19 PM, stephan beal wrote:

d) It'll be dog slow compared to a normal installation.

I have seen some OS's boot on a little firewire "thumb" drive.
Much faster than USB.

But USB2's faster than firewire, isn't it?

First, remember there is Firewire 400 and Firewire 800.
The 800 flavor isn't even close. It is way, way faster.
But, I was talking 400. Yes, on paper USB2 is faster (480 vs 400)
But, firewire was designed to move data, and it does much faster than
USB. USB was never meant to move data, like firewire.
I have used both on windows, linux, OSX, and I think BSD, (and
something else... can't remember... old timers)
I _never_ get USB to come close to firewire 400 speed.
Remember those speeds are all theory, not real world.

It is a bit like the old IDE/SCSI argument. Firewire, like SCSI, allows
for transfer without involvement of the CPU. Set up block transfers and
do something else until they are done. USB, if I understand properly,
requires CPU involvement all along the way. We use firewire cameras in
our product and simply set up DMA buffers and then set the interface in
isosynchronous mode. The images arrive at the full 400 mbit rate into
memory. Does USB really achieve the 480 mbit rate? I thought it was like
a ethernet interface. Don't expect the data rate to be the full
interface speed.

--
Roger Oberholtzer

OPQ Systems AB
Ramböll Sverige AB
Kapellgränd 7
P.O. Box 4205
SE-102 65 Stockholm, Sweden

Tel: Int +46 8-615 60 20
Fax: Int +46 8-31 42 23

  • Re: Recording on Computers
    ... I wanted to askabout the difference between using Firewire or USB as ... an interface for linking to computers for recording guitar or whatever ... USB is more than adequate. ... I've had a number of Firewire devices, ...
    (alt.guitar)
  • Re: What Audio Interfaces?
    ... But adding firewire to a PC has always been a problem, ... USB otoh was already built in and working. ... interface manufacturers know that they can do that, ... of them jumping on to Thunderbolt yet, other than those like Apogee and UA ...
    (rec.audio.pro)
  • Re: Firewire or USB 2.0 Cubase LE Hardware??
    ... I heard USB 2.0 is supposed to be a bit faster than the Firewire ... duplex isochronous abilities of Firewire make it the preferred interface. ... Cubase LE is, imho, not bad for the price;) ...
    (rec.audio.pro)
  • Re: External Drive Crashing ... AGAIN
    ... the USB interface is still not working properly. ... This makes me think that either the firewire cable is faulty ... power problem. ... connection that I have been using. ...
  • Re: Firewire or USB 2.0 Cubase LE Hardware??
    ... and both come with Cubase LE. ... duplex isochronous abilities of Firewire make it the preferred interface. ... Also, Firewire requires little of the CPU, while USB loads it down. ...
    (rec.audio.pro)