Re: [SLE] A SuSe distribution running from a 2 GB stick

On Wed, 2006-08-30 at 15:26 -0400, suse_gasjr4wd@xxxxxxx wrote:
On Aug 30, 2006, at 3:12 PM, John wrote:

Roger Oberholtzer wrote:
On Wed, 2006-08-30 at 13:29 -0400, suse_gasjr4wd@xxxxxxx wrote:

On Aug 30, 2006, at 12:19 PM, stephan beal wrote:

d) It'll be dog slow compared to a normal installation.

I have seen some OS's boot on a little firewire "thumb" drive.
Much faster than USB.

But USB2's faster than firewire, isn't it?

First, remember there is Firewire 400 and Firewire 800.
The 800 flavor isn't even close. It is way, way faster.
But, I was talking 400. Yes, on paper USB2 is faster (480 vs 400)
But, firewire was designed to move data, and it does much faster than
USB. USB was never meant to move data, like firewire.
I have used both on windows, linux, OSX, and I think BSD, (and
something else... can't remember... old timers)
I _never_ get USB to come close to firewire 400 speed.
Remember those speeds are all theory, not real world.

It is a bit like the old IDE/SCSI argument. Firewire, like SCSI, allows
for transfer without involvement of the CPU. Set up block transfers and
do something else until they are done. USB, if I understand properly,
requires CPU involvement all along the way. We use firewire cameras in
our product and simply set up DMA buffers and then set the interface in
isosynchronous mode. The images arrive at the full 400 mbit rate into
memory. Does USB really achieve the 480 mbit rate? I thought it was like
a ethernet interface. Don't expect the data rate to be the full
interface speed.

--
Roger Oberholtzer

OPQ Systems AB