[SLE] Xen for a dummy (me)
- From: Lennart Börjeson <Lennart.Borjeson@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
- Date: Mon, 2 Oct 2006 13:38:36 +0200
Today I set out to learn Xen. I have SuSE 10.1 (64 bit), up-to-date via zmd,
on a Dell Precision 490 (2 Dual-core Xeons). Among other documentation, I
read what I could find at http://en.opensuse.org/Installing_Xen3. I then
proceeded by Enabling Xen in Yast2 and rebooting. (During the reboot I took a
detour through my BIOS setup and enabled Virtualization Support.) In GRUB, I
select the default XEN kernel and booted.
1) My graphical boot turned textual. No big deal, but why?
2) The boot was roughly three times slower than usual. ??
3) X didn't start. After a seemingly normal start, Xorg.0.log ends with:
(**) NVIDIA(0): Depth 24, (--) framebuffer bpp 32
(==) NVIDIA(0): RGB weight 888
(==) NVIDIA(0): Default visual is TrueColor
(==) NVIDIA(0): Using gamma correction (1.0, 1.0, 1.0)
(**) NVIDIA(0): Enabling RENDER acceleration
(EE) NVIDIA(0): Failed to load the NVIDIA kernel module!
(EE) NVIDIA(0): *** Aborting ***
(II) UnloadModule: "nvidia"
(II) UnloadModule: "ramdac"
(II) UnloadModule: "fb"
(EE) Screen(s) found, but none have a usable configuration.
Fatal server error:
no screens found
4) I have no network devices. Eth0 have failed to start.
After this, I quickly reverted to a normal (non-xen) boot, and all was normal.
(Pfui.) After a lot of google and browsing on the Xen subject, I still don't
understand if I'm doing anything wrong or what else is missing. I guess
nvidia isn't working since the needed kernel module isn't provided for the
xen kernel (I use precompiled nvidia rpms), but on the rest of theproblems I
! Lennart Börjeson
! Partner, Developer
! Cinnober Financial Technology AB
! Industrigatan 2A
! S-112 46 STOCKHOLM
Check the headers for your unsubscription address
For additional commands send e-mail to suse-linux-e-help@xxxxxxxx
Also check the archives at http://lists.suse.com
Please read the FAQs: suse-linux-e-faq@xxxxxxxx
- Prev by Date: Re: [SLE] 9.1 update mirror -- getting file limits with gzip
- Next by Date: Re: [SLE] quick question about checking time
- Previous by thread: [SLE] More zmd issues
- Next by thread: [SLE] I still don't understand NTP :-(