[SLE] udev rule - mountpoint does not exist

Hi guys,

I'm trying out XFCE, and one thing that doesn't happen automatically (as
in KDE) is mounting of external discs.

I'm following this howto:

http://www.novell.com/coolsolutions/tip/17785.html

I added this line to /etc/fstab:

LABEL=EXT320 /media/EXT320 ext2 auto,hotplug,defaults
1 2

The disc was already labeled so that it would always mount in the same
place (otherwise I have change amarok's settings each time :-)

Then I made the udev rule 99-mount.rules

#run mount -a everytime a block device is added/removed
SUBSYSTEM=="block", run+="/bin/mount -a"

Now the problem is, /bin/mount -a fails, because the mount point hadn't
been created. KDE's automount system somehow checks the label of the
disc ("EXT320" in this case) and mkdir the mountpoint ("/media/EXT320"
in this case), and then mounts it.

I'm missing the making the mountpoint part. How do I do this?

Thanks
Hans

  • cannot boot-up linux, unable to read superblock
    ... mount: error 22 mounting ext3 ... enable lvm and tried fsck for the volumes (one is empty volume? ... Attempt to read block from filesystem resulted in short read while trying to open /dev/VolGroup00/LogVol00 ...
    (RedHat)
  • vfat iPod suddenly fails to write [was: Re: [solved] Re: mounting iPod with USB]
    ... >>which is just wack, afaict, seeing as it was mounting happily with ... > the sda3 is the one to mount. ... Sep 28 12:14:44 homeruns kernel: FAT: Directory bread ...
    (Debian-User)
  • Re: Flying Lights
    ... generator with a B&M Lumotec plus 3W headlight. ... mount that makes a good hand held flashlight if needed ... I have several Cateye models which all use the same mounting you describe. ... I haven't noticed the 'L' rails themselves being chipped away. ...
    (rec.bicycles.misc)
  • Re: Universal naming arrangement
    ... universal naming system for reference to things which are external to ... matter of having a correct and up-to-date VFS mount table). ... this isn't actually too far off from how things work in the BGBScript VM already, just right now there is no automated mechanism for pulling packages down via HTTP or mounting and then executing them, but the basics exist. ... mostly, this more advanced case could probably be handled by a "console script" or similar though, basically a short script is executed as "the application" which proceeds to orchestrate pulling down, mounting, and executing the program. ...
    (comp.lang.misc)
  • RE: allowing non root users to mount
    ... how does this relate to making a common mounting point? ... make the common mounting point /floppy and set the permissions to ... cannot mount the floppy as a regular user. ... 'operation not permitted' and I have to su as root to get this to work. ...
    (freebsd-questions)